Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eazy_b97

Skate Problem

Hey guys,

I've had my skates for roughly 2 years now. I've always had this issue, but it never really caused problems until now. After a skate theres a callus on my big toe. I've had these since I was little from skating. Usually they never caused problems though, but I also played roughly 10 times a week. Then I essentially stopped, and went down to once a week. Now since I was playing once a week, it was minor pain after the skate, but not during. I'm starting to play on multiple days now, and it's causing some discomfort at the start of my skate. Does anyone know what may be causing this, or what I can do to allievate the problem? If you need any clarification on something please ask, I'd love to get this issue solved.

I used to have similar problems with my easton and CCM skates. The toe cap is probably too small for you and/or the part that is sewn to the boot itself is directly where your big toe is. It's just all the rubbing that goes on there.

I've tried to use some padding there and while it helps, sometimes the padding comes off with my socks. Better solution is to get wider skates or skates with wider toe boxes. I'm pretty happy with my wide Nikes.

Is it a bone spur? My son has these on both big toes.I thought they were calluses and took him to a podiatrist who said they were bone spurs that might

have to be removed one day.

I used to have similar problems with my easton and CCM skates. The toe cap is probably too small for you and/or the part that is sewn to the boot itself is directly where your big toe is. It's just all the rubbing that goes on there.

I've tried to use some padding there and while it helps, sometimes the padding comes off with my socks. Better solution is to get wider skates or skates with wider toe boxes. I'm pretty happy with my wide Nikes.

I have the same problem with my 9k's. The toebox/boot seem hits my big toe in just the right spot to cause some pain. I looked for some padding and finally found something that works great....a round foam make up sponge. They are about 1/4" thick and 2" in diameter. I cut it to size and tape it to my toe, put my sock on and it works great (never had one come of yet). These sponges work really good for all sorts of sore spots.

I have the same problem with my 9k's. The toebox/boot seem hits my big toe in just the right spot to cause some pain. I looked for some padding and finally found something that works great....a round foam make up sponge. They are about 1/4" thick and 2" in diameter. I cut it to size and tape it to my toe, put my sock on and it works great (never had one come of yet). These sponges work really good for all sorts of sore spots.

they actually sell foam tubes to wrap around your toes... it's for people with ingrown nails, or bunyons, etc... check a local pharmacy

I'm not 100% sure that's the solution to Easy's problem... but at least it would help establish whether it's the skate, or his foot..

i had the same problem with my toes, but i couldn't get a wider skate because its only my toes that are too wide. I ended up punching that part of the boot out, and it helped.

I've had this on my left big toe from my Vectors. The right skate doesn't do it, though. Depending on how bad your situation is, it might work to swing by an REI or some camping store close to you to pick up a package of moleskin. It's a padded tape you usually use with hiking boots.

Moleskin is my next attempt, but I haven't had luck.

I don't think wider skaters are possible, I have customs that are already beyond wide with a wide toe cap.

I've had this on my left big toe from my Vectors. The right skate doesn't do it, though. Depending on how bad your situation is, it might work to swing by an REI or some camping store close to you to pick up a package of moleskin. It's a padded tape you usually use with hiking boots.

moleskin? how thick or thin is it? it sounds like it could help me with my problems.

It's like thin soft foam with an adhesive back. It's pretty compressible, since it's meant to go between a hiking sock and an already tight hiking boot. Here's a link, but most drugstores should have it too.

Moleskin @ REI

It's like thin soft foam with an adhesive back. It's pretty compressible, since it's meant to go between a hiking sock and an already tight hiking boot. Here's a link, but most drugstores should have it too.

Moleskin @ REI

is the material thick? it looks like you could tear it after 1 use, but i guess i should go to a shoppers or something and check it out.. thanks for telling me about it

There is Moleskin and Molefoam.Molefoam is thicker and "spongier".I beleive it comes in 2 thicknesses: 1 looks like the beigemoleskin and the thicker one is white.

is the material thick? it looks like you could tear it after 1 use, but i guess i should go to a shoppers or something and check it out.. thanks for telling me about it

Usually, you use it whenever you get a "hot spot" on your foot when on the trail. So it is something that's not meant to be re-used--it is cheap, however.

see if you can get that part of your skate punched out, sounds like your problem.

Probably a better move if this is constant. I originally had the toe on my left skate punched just after getting them, but so far the callus on my toe has just thickened up a bit and not caused any pain.