Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thefelixculpa

Taping up your blade

I feel stupid asking this but I've played in ball leagues for my whole life and am now going to tryout for my college team which uses a puck....but is there a specific kind of tape that should be used when taping up your blade?

Should I use friction tape or is cloth tape fine? Are you supposed to use wax? I've been practicing with a puck recently to try and get used to it by tryouts and I've taped my blade with just cloth tape and nothing else done to it and it doesnt seem to help very much.

I'm going to be playing on a sport court surface.

I feel stupid asking this but I've played in ball leagues for my whole life and am now going to tryout for my college team which uses a puck....but is there a specific kind of tape that should be used when taping up your blade?

Should I use friction tape or is cloth tape fine? Are you supposed to use wax? I've been practicing with a puck recently to try and get used to it by tryouts and I've taped my blade with just cloth tape and nothing else done to it and it doesnt seem to help very much.

I'm going to be playing on a sport court surface.

I don't tape. I used black tape once when I first started and was screamed at for 15 minutes by the rink owner.

Try doing horizontal strips if you must tape, and don't use black. I never taped for ice hockey, either, fwiw.

by horizontal strips, do you mean like start at the heel on one side of the blade, wrap it length wise, around the toe, then along the other side of the blade to the heel?

would i do this to cover the whole blade? I want tape covering the top of my blade.

by horizontal strips, do you mean like start at the heel on one side of the blade, wrap it length wise, around the toe, then along the other side of the blade to the heel?

would i do this to cover the whole blade? I want tape covering the top of my blade.

Then I'd tape it like normal-just use some white tape so the rink owner doesn't freak on you. Or use whatever, and use a razor or something to cut the bottom (up like 1/4" on the blade on both sides)

For Sport Court... just tape like you would for ice but make sure you use white cloth or you're gonna catch hell from the rink manager.

I have not noticed any drag on SC with the normal, full tape job. I might skip the wax though since moisture is not a concern.

thanks for all the help.

just one more question:

when using puck, how much does the tape have to do with getting some lift on a backhand shot? I have been trying and trying to roof it or even just make it go in the air and i can't get it to happen. is it just something you get a feel for eventually? or will it be easier with some tape on my blade?

or will it be easier with some tape on my blade?

Some people claim the ridges of the tape on your blade provide spin on the puck that can help....if you ask me the backhander is all in the wrist. I have better luck with the puck closer to my body than a forehand as well.

Edit: spelling

thanks for all the help.

just one more question:

when using puck, how much does the tape have to do with getting some lift on a backhand shot? I have been trying and trying to roof it or even just make it go in the air and i can't get it to happen. is it just something you get a feel for eventually? or will it be easier with some tape on my blade?

Backhand is more about the bottom hand-if you are having a hard time, try getting your bottom hand lower on the stick. Also, a more pronounced follow through will help you get it airborne. And nothing wrong with scooping under it. most of the time, speed/power isn't the purpose of the backhander.

what i do in inline hockey when we play on sc is i tape it like a normal hockey stick, and make sure that the over hang is minimal, i feel that gives me the best puck control with the least amount of drag possible

how to you go about getting that perfect tape job on your blade that covers your entire toe without getting any wrinkles in the tape? I don't understand how to wrap tape around a rounded area without ti getting messed up.

i see lots of players I play with having tape jobs like this.

how to you go about getting that perfect tape job on your blade that covers your entire toe without getting any wrinkles in the tape? I don't understand how to wrap tape around a rounded area without ti getting messed up.

Scissors are your friend!

Scissors are your friend!

yeaaah...i thought about that, just wasn't sure if that was the only way.