Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Law Goalie

Anywhere to get Mission S500 tongues?

I've called every local store I can think of, and PMed a few people who are selling the skates, but I'm at a total loss.

The wisdom of the board suggests that the tongues from the Mission S500 are probably the best ones in existence. They're thin, lace-bite-preventing, sweat-wicking, and generally quite comfy. Problem is, I have no idea how to get my hands on a pair, and I think they may be the solution to an ongoing issue of mine.

I'm looking to replace the tongues on my Daoust 301s with something thinner but of no less quality. As per my recent "Deepest fitting skates" thread, I'm mushrooming out of my skates. I'm hoping to find a pair of Nike Flexlite 12s or 10s, but that's a bit of a crap-shoot, and I need more immediate solutions to make my current (and rather wonderful) skates workable.

I've gone to thinner socks and made up a really odd four-stage lacing, which has helped tremendously in relieving pressure across my arch while stll keeping a snug & secure heel. The one remaining obstacle in terms of skate depth that I can indicate is the thickness of the tongue. The way I see it, with the thick white felt tongue on the 301s, my foot is being clamped between the tongue and the footbed. If I were to replace it a thinner tongue, I'd be effectively increasing the depth of the skate.

NB: this idea of the tongue being included in the depth of a skate runs contrary to JR's classical formulation of the 3rd-eyelet pencil-test, detailed here. JR advises bending the tongue forward, then placing the pencil/ruler on top of the eyelets, to see whether it contacts the foot. Another version of this test involves placing the ruler across the eyelets with the tongue in place, which, of course, is what my 'thinner tongue=more depth' idea is based on. I imagine JR's method is the better test for correctly fitting a boot, but I think including the tongue in effective rather than efficient (oh god, my Aquinas is coming back) considerations of depth is beneficial.

So:

1) Am I completely wrong on this 'thinner tongue=more effective depth' thing?

2) How in the name of Justin do I get my hands on a pair of S500 tongues?