Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nsabino

Bones Reds Bearings

Hi, I just received a set of Bones Reds Bearings and I have a few questions that I appreciate very much any help with. The first one is: What side goes in? The red rubber shield or the other? Second: To relube these bearings do I remove the rubber shield? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Nelson

Red side out so you can see it.to remove pull inner rubber ring.Personally when they need to be relubed I usually just throw in a new pack since they are so affordably replaced

You won't need to remove the red shield to re-lube them. What I do is just take the bearings out, and lube them from the back side (non-shielded) of the bearing.

You won't need to remove the red shield to re-lube them. What I do is just take the bearings out, and lube them from the back side (non-shielded) of the bearing.

thaks for your help and info. What kind of lube do you usually use?

Regards,

Nelson

Conversly, if you do want to clean and lube them, a dentist's pick is awesome for getting the shield and bearing cage out.

The lube you use is preference-I've used everything from Zoom! Turbine oil to heavy synthetic grease in mine. I play outside where its really dusty, so I tend to go with gel-style lube. If you are inside where its clean, you can get away with a lighter lube.

Conversly, if you do want to clean and lube them, a dentist's pick is awesome for getting the shield and bearing cage out.

The lube you use is preference-I've used everything from Zoom! Turbine oil to heavy synthetic grease in mine. I play outside where its really dusty, so I tend to go with gel-style lube. If you are inside where its clean, you can get away with a lighter lube.

thaks for your input piper, I mostly play outside myself and need do due frequent lubing and cleaning. In the past I've always used sealed bearings so I never really lubed them, I'd just put them in a jar and cover them with WD-40, worked o.k. Since you play almost mainly outdoors I'd like to ask a question regarding wheel setup. What wheels and hardness setup do you prefer?

Thanks alot, regards

Nelson

I think it was on this message board that I read somebody say the Reds are much better than BSB ABEC 9s. Is there a general consensus on this? Just seems strange to me that a bearing 30 dollars cheaper would be that much better!

they are really that much better. i was on BSB Abec 9 bearings and got the Bones just because of the price tag, and i really like the performance. probably not as good as the ceramics or anything, but i love them.

My experience with them is that I clean them once a season and I got great performance out of them. With my old ABEC 7's, I was cleaning them out every month or so.

ive used bones and i liked them alot. i cleaned them and gave them to my bro and theyre still chugging along, and hes a heavy man ( about 240 )

im currently using HKD 7s and im also finding them pretty nice

How much of a drop in performance are you getting when you use Bones Reds compared to Bones Swiss (The kind that are like 70 dollars for a 16pk, not the ceramics).

The biggest thing is you're not giving up performance so much as you're giving up longevity/build quality. The Reds are built the same way that traditional Bones Swiss are, but they are produced in a factory in China instead of being a legitimate Swiss bearing. The specs for both are the same other than that, and if taken care of properly you'll likely never notice a difference.

Directly from the Bones website:

Bones REDS are manufactured in China to our Skate Rated™ specifications in a manufacturing facility dedicated to producing the highest quality skate bearings in China. Made to the specifications of Bones Swiss and offer near Bones Swiss precision at a fraction of the price, The #1 selling bearing brand in the USA.

Legendary Original Bones® Swiss bearings are the optimum combination of Bones Skate Rated™ design and Swiss precision manufacturing creating the standard by which all other bearings are measured. For more than 24 years preferred by the world’s top professional skaters.

Proven, professional competition-grade speed and durability make Bones Swiss the most desired bearing in the sport.