Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

_HSB_b345t

688 Bearing help

I have the Bevo Abec 9 688 bearings that came with the Tour Code 1 skates. After 5 or 6 games, there is a loud rattle coming from about 3 or 4 of them. Thinking the shielding may have popped loose, I pull them off and they are all still in one piece. The bearings themselves spin fine, but just make a very loud rattle/grinding sound.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas or experience this?

I've been using my Code 1's for about 2 years now and with the exception of the bearings....I have been very happy with them. I haven't ever noticed a rattle out of them before, but they have definately been loud while rotating most of the time. I don't know if that is due to the new mini-bearing design, or some other factor. As you might notice....a few threads down I am asking about new bearings. Sounds like I will be picking up some BSB Swiss' to replace the Bevo's. You may want to consider a similar option.

maybe you might have something small caught in between a certain bearing....my old abec 5s did that as well....i just took them all apart and cleaned everything and reinstalled and it was fine

I thought of that and I just got done doing it, in fact. Took everything apart, cleaned them up and put them back together. Hopefully, that cured it.

I'm really disappointed with these bearings.

A lot of people end up dissatisfied with the factory bearings that are shipped out with skates and end up replacing them with better bearings (Bones Super Swiss 6, Ron's Rockets, etc) after they realize how poorly the ones shipped with skates are made. I have Code Reds and skated on the bearings that came with those for about a year... and they worked decently. I recently upgraded to better bearings and they are 1000% better. Hopefully cleaning them worked.. If not, you may want to consider buying better ones.

Now I have run into a dilemma:

Do I buy replacement 688 bearings for the wheels I have (and like) now or replacement 608 wheels for the set of 608 bearings I had prior that are nice and broken in?