Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trajik78

Squeeky Swiss's

The swiss bearings in my Wicked 5's are squeaking pretty good these days. not too keen on trying to open them up since they're sealed (right?). is there any relatively painless way to lube em up? maybe spray some WD-40 or something?

i find WD-40 is the worst lubricant for bearings...

well you could soak them in bearing cleaner overnight, then relube with a quality bearing lube

WD-40 is wet lube, and while it does lubricate, it also attracts dirt to it. Any type of a liquid silicone lube is best as it will drop in wet and try to a teflon wax and thus not attract dirt.

yeah WD40 isn't a lubricant. Stick with something silicon based for sure. WD40 is a good tar remover. That red bearing lube from all the online shops is what I have been using. I find the best maintenance is to just wipe off all the crap that gets stuck to the bearings on a regular basis.

sealed? you can still take them apart though right? if you're just not into going through the trouble of taking the bearing apart completely and cleaning everything, which it can be a pain to do it right just take off the rubber covers and pour a ton of lube in there. You'll get rid of most of the squeaking and though they may not last as long if you don't clean them properly they will be good to go for a while.

Cans of compressed air are good for blowing the balls of your bearings (no funny stuff here). I usually clean mine in citrus degreaser and then blow them with compressed air and then 2 drops of speed lube per bearing. Runs like a champ!!

cool. no WD for me.

do you need a special tool to remove one of the side seals? not sure of the process. if anyone knows where a good (illustrated :D) guide i'd give many a thanks.

cool. no WD for me.

do you need a special tool to remove one of the side seals? not sure of the process. if anyone knows where a good (illustrated :D) guide i'd give many a thanks.

A safety pin will work, but I went out and bought some cheap dental picks at Walgreens. The thicker of the two works really well for popping the rubber seal off, as well as the plastic deal that holds the balls in place. I soak all the parts in mineral spirits and lube up.

The pick is also great for bearings that have the spring-metal shield deal going on as well.