Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spreedizzle

Toes down pitch

So I have been playing ice hockey for the past 4 months, on the ice about 12-16 hours per week between playing and coaching. We had a beautiful day in Western NC today so I went and played pickup outdoors with a handful of friends. Well....I came to notice that my Code 1's have me severely on my heels when compared to my RBK 7K ice boots. Felt very unnatural. I have a second pair of 7K's that are about to be mounted with A8 large sprungs. My question is will the sprungs have a toes down profile similar to an ice skate, or do I need to go to a Vanguard or other frame? I love the fit of my 7K ice boots and thus am turning my second pair into inlines. Are the sprungs the right choice? A little help from those that have been in a similar situation before would be greatly appreciated.

my issue with the old model was that it nose dived on me. I'm getting ready to get a new A6 frame so I can't say for sure about the newer models, but I have a feeling if you simply lean a little it'll accomodate. The Vanguard is a more neutral pitch than Hummers (on your heels) or Hi-Los (on your toes) I really like the Vanguard, but I haven't touched ice in a few years.

my issue with the old model was that it nose dived on me. I'm getting ready to get a new A6 frame so I can't say for sure about the newer models, but I have a feeling if you simply lean a little it'll accomodate. The Vanguard is a more neutral pitch than Hummers (on your heels) or Hi-Los (on your toes) I really like the Vanguard, but I haven't touched ice in a few years.

The Vanguard is a "hi-lo" chassis though. Is there another chassis that Mission makes that is simply called the "Hi-Lo" as opposed to something else? My main issue is that I am trying to replicate the pitch of my E pros on inline. Which chassis would accomplish this the best?

sorry, I should've clarified that I meant 72-80 "standard" Hi-Lo. If it's a neutral pith, the Vanguard is great, if it's way on your toes a more standard Hi-Lo would be better.

I have the 72/80 Hi/Lo Chassis on my Mission Proto VSI and it feels more like when I am on ice. My friend bought a new Mission skate which has the 76/80 Chassis and he said it feels a lot different. I talked to Mission a month ago and they said that the only frame they are selling now is the 76/80.

The Vanguard is a "hi-lo" chassis though. Is there another chassis that Mission makes that is simply called the "Hi-Lo" as opposed to something else? My main issue is that I am trying to replicate the pitch of my E pros on inline. Which chassis would accomplish this the best?

The A6's and A8's have the same pitch as an 80/72 Hilo. The old model twisted in front, the new model doesn't. But when you push off hard, the toe wheel does move up into the front lip of the frame duplicating the curve of an ice blade. However, ice blades don't push back from the surface like Sprung's do.

Ice players are buying Sprungs because they are the only roller hockey frame that performs like ice. At least a third of our sales are to Canada and Northern Europe. They are good for roller hockey if they can draw players from ice. And good players at that.

I understand what you are saying Keith. I'm just a touch apprehensive with the size of the A8 larges on my size 9E RBK 7K's. The overall wheel base just looks so long that I am a touch scared. The place that is mounting them for me is taking their sweet time right now, which is fine by me as my inline season doesn't start for about 6 weeks. I just want to ensure that I have the most ice like feel and pitch compared to my 7K ice boots. The longer wheel base is just currently scaring me as I felt how sluggish my Hum'er chassis felt in turning in comparison to the ice.

I understand what you are saying Keith. I'm just a touch apprehensive with the size of the A8 larges on my size 9E RBK 7K's. The overall wheel base just looks so long that I am a touch scared. The place that is mounting them for me is taking their sweet time right now, which is fine by me as my inline season doesn't start for about 6 weeks. I just want to ensure that I have the most ice like feel and pitch compared to my 7K ice boots. The longer wheel base is just currently scaring me as I felt how sluggish my Hum'er chassis felt in turning in comparison to the ice.

Hi Spreed, don't you know anyone who skates in RBK's or CCM rollers? The tri-di setup gives a very on your toes pitch in my opinion and when it comes to tight turns I really think there probably the best frames.

Regards,

Nelson

I would honestly prefer not to be skating on the Tri D as I don't want to attempt to keep on hand 3 different sized wheels, and not be able to do any kind of rotating of the wheels. There are a handful of people in my league that use the Tri D....but nobody that I would consider that great of a skater that could give me a genuine and meaningful opinion on the chassis.

Spree, the RBK boot has a forward pitch. E Pros are neutral-pitched.

If the Sprungs are similar to the hi-los as keith mentioned, you'll likely have a more aggressive forward lean with the 7k-Sprung combo.

I hear what you're saying though- One ice, I skate in Grafs with tuuk custom+, and i still feel way on my heels in my tour code-1s.

so, you have a few options before you.

1. heel lifts. Maybe not the best plan, but it will help tip you up on your toes a bit more

2. Tri-Di. It will give you the forward lean, but you have to keep three size wheels on hand and it migth not feel like enough wheel up front.

3. Hi-Lo. It's the old standby for a reason. Again, you'll get the forward lean, some frames might feel like not enough wheel up front for you

4. Sprung. One size wheels, replaceable parts, reports from ice players that it feels the same. A little pricier than almost all close-out Hi-Lo frames, but a lot of players are happy with them.

Any flat frame is going to feel back on the heels unless you have a boot that really puts you in an agressive stance. The Vanguard is pretty neutral and well balanced, but it doesn't sound like it's quite your taste. I don't have an opinion on the new Sprung frame, but the old one was real responsive to a little forward lean and didn't really feel all that off from a Hi-Lo setup.

I've tried both the vanguard and the standard Hi-lo chassis... really got into hockey and spent years on the mission hi-lo before the vanguard came out. Its a whole different feeling with the vanguard, very much a neutral pitch. I've now got some skates mounted on an older mission hi-lo, and it feel more natural to me.

I've tried both the vanguard and the standard Hi-lo chassis... really got into hockey and spent years on the mission hi-lo before the vanguard came out. Its a whole different feeling with the vanguard, very much a neutral pitch. I've now got some skates mounted on an older mission hi-lo, and it feel more natural to me.

it's funny, I'm the opposite where the Vanguard feels more natural for me, despite years of 72-80 HiLo. I got my new TR8000 boots last night that I'm putting a new Sprung on, and they really push you forward which explains, at least a little, why I could go from a pair of those with flat frames to HiLo with minimal fuss all those years ago. The boot also has a lot to do with which frames will feel better.

Yeah....I am really hoping that the pitch of the Code 1's boots is significantly different from my 7K ice boots. The 7k's just feel so perfect and natural to me, yet after not being on inline for so long I feel like I am about to bust my azz with how far the pitch on them is rockered onto my heels. So ideally....my new A8's will be mounted by this weekend and I will hopefully have my pitch questions answered successfully with this new setup. I just want to have my bases covered in case I need to order something quickly as my inline season is approaching in 4 weeks.

Hey Spree, dont mean to thread-jack, but....

has anyone tried to use a different wheel config on the vanguard? I still prefer the ol' hilo config of 72-72-80-80, and was wondering if can use that on the vanguard? I dont think it would be a problem, but would all the wheels contact the floor?

Hey Spree, dont mean to thread-jack, but....

has anyone tried to use a different wheel config on the vanguard? I still prefer the ol' hilo config of 72-72-80-80, and was wondering if can use that on the vanguard? I dont think it would be a problem, but would all the wheels contact the floor?

No biggie on the thread jack. To answer your question though.....no. All 4 wheels would not contact the playing surface evenly. You would be primarily skating on your first and 3rd wheel from the front angling the entire chassis toes down.

72-72-76-76 wouldnt solve the problem of the neutral pitch. I prefer the more agressive pitch of the previous hilos, so was hoping that the pitch would be similar.

At the moment I'm still ok with my 1200c as they are mounted on some predator chassis. But just wondering as I've also got some assasins that I would like to try, but I didnt really like the feel of the vanguard when I was using my Wicked 1s.

I haven't skated a Tour in a few years but it is likely that you are feeling more on your heels due to the boots. It sounds lame but you can try not lacing the skate all the way up. There were a few models one year that they recommended for a more aggressive (forward) stance, don't lace the top two eyelets. Not an ideal fix, but might help without any cost to you.