Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RSobkowz

CCM Vector 8.0 and 10.0 and Rbk 9k and 8k opinions.

So my tax refund is burning a whole in my pocket and new skates are an item of interest. I'm about 220 right now though hopefully the dieting down keeps going well and I get to around 210 or lighter if I can but I'm still a bigger boy. I have a wide forefoot and a shallow arch. Right now I'm skating in Vector PF4s. I have them in size 11D and probably would be a better fit in a 10.5E as that's what my Vector 6.0SE skates are. Overall they fit me pretty well still but my 10.5E SEs fit better.

Anyway I have been looking for a better pair of skates and have been looking at the Vector 8.0 and 10.0s and also the Rbk 8K and 9Ks. I figured if I'm going to buy new skates I'm either going to make the jump into a really good pair or just keep what I have. Just interested to hear the opinions of anyone that has the aforementioned skates. Not sure how many people are skating around in the new Rbks just yet but I'm sure someone has to be. I'm leaning more towards the CCM skates as I know the fit is comfortable for me.

What's the advantages between the 8.0s and 10.0s? Between the Rbk and CCM skates? If there isn't a huge difference in quality between the lines within the brand would it make sense to buy say the 8.0s and upgrade the bearings and wheels or does that sound idiotic?

Thanks guys,

-Ron

Hey dude...

i've been using 10.0's for just over a year now and they are without a doubt the best skates i've had (used pf 10's before these).

There was an issue with the wheels tho... rink rat whatever they are, the 'hub' of the wheel consists of spokes and i had problems with these cracking and the wheels being ususable after about 4 skates. I don't know if was my weight of if it was just a bad batch but rink rat did send replacements, which apart from the back 80mm's, have all held up to this day (touch wood).

The skates themselves are good fitting, and my feet are slighty wide as some skates, usually ice, seem to squash my feet sideways, but a D in these fits perfect. They are also very stiff ... but once broken in become very comfortable, i cant rate them enough!

Oh actually most of the eyelets rusted off, never had that on a pair of skates before, maybe my fault for often not letting them dry? No idea but it did happen, no short term effects from that tho, slight bit of material wear on the top eyelets.

As for the rbk's, never tried them but a teammate has them and the pump broke almost straight away, so i'd stay away from anything a bit gimmicky and stick with some straight down the line ccm's but it all comes down to pp i guess.

Good luck choosing your skates buddy, hope this helped! :)

I switched to a pair of RBKs this year after years of skating on CCMs, I didnt like the feel of the new line of CCMs and ended up getting RBK 7Ks. Almost immediatly I swapped out the chassis with hum'ers. I was a little disappointed with the lack of strength of the chassis, I do know that the 9K has a more solid chassis. I cant say enough good things about the RBK boots though, they fit and feel great and I had no break-in pain at all.

Thanks for the replies. My PF4s were a little painful to break in but I think only because I needed an E width. My only real gripe now is that I could stand to have a stiffer boot as since my skating has gotten better I probably get too much flex out of the boot.

Is it agreeable that either the CCM or the Rbks are both quality skates whether it be the Vector 8.0 or the 10.0 or the 8K or 9K in the Rbks?

I have the RBK 4k and 5k '07 models and I love how they fit. No break in pain at all. Haven't tried the '08 models though, but my LHS Play it Again said the inside hasn't changed, just the outsides and the frames. And RBK skates come in half sizes and Wides as well.