Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sfael

Roller hockey newbie

I have been playing ice hockey my whole life but this year I'm going to play in a couple roller leagues. I've never played in a real league indoors, ive only played on the street. The floor for the leagues is I think called polished concrete as it is a ice hockey rink with the ice taken out for spring/summer. My questions are: What kind of wheel will I need? And I don't own roller pants and a girdle, would those be recommended over wearing bottom ice gear. and BTW I am around 5'11" 160-165ish.

Thanks

You can wear ice pants with roller hockey pants over, but you might be a little too hot. If you're playing on super smooth cement, and weigh 165, a 78a is the maximum level of hardness you want.

for polished concrete you can stick to less expensive single pour wheels and be fine. The dual pours that run more money really tend to shine on tile surfaces like sportcourt.

I'd definitely go with a full heel to toe tapejob +wax on the bottom of the blade if using an OPS on polished concrete. I've eaten through OPS blades on polished concrete before.

I do not recommend using a one piece on that painted cement, trust me I learned the hard way.

Performance sure is a good thing, but after a handful of games your stick is going to be toast.

The blade starts to crack at the bottom and pretty much that stiff blade of yours turns into a wet noodle.

Find a ABS blade or buy a bunch of woodies, you'll save your money.

Check out the Vector 4.0/5.0 stick line for playing on painted cement. They'll hold up real well. I have an old Vector 5 I used to fool around on the tennis court with and it never got really beaten up.

you can add a layer of epoxy to the bottom of the blade, saves you a little, no difference in performance.

I've done it before on rough concrete, and my wood blades lasted me 5 months before it broke.