Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eazy_b97

Fishing Rod Help

I'm a once a year fisherman as of right now. I love it, but don't have alot of time for it. I have a cheap Zepco rod. It's one where to cast you hold the button. I am wondering if it's possible to put new line it in. I am almost out of mine, I was considering a new rod, but I am extremely broke. I figure a new line (was looking at'em) would be the cheapest solution. I would like to know if it's possible to change the line in this rod, how I would get it out and if there is a specific size line I would need....thickness, or overall, or what I would do to

A.) Take it out

B.) What Line will I need

C.) Put it back in

I'm assuming a pic will help so here's my baby :D

FishingHelp.JPG

After taking off the silver thing...... the line is exposed. I am not sure how this works? Are they supposed to just pop off if they are interchangable? Would I re-line it be just emptying thing and manually relining the round thing? Or am I just screwed?

Fishingthingy.jpg

It's pretty easy, first you remove the old line, just pull it out and wind it up on some kind of spool or something.

Then you fill it with new line, make sure to make a good knot first (see below), and once you've done that you can just "reel it in" in a slow but steady rhytm, make sure the line is kind of stretched though for a better result.

I'm not familiar with Zebco reels (heard of the brand but never used them) but it sounds to me like you should go for a line that says 10 or 12 Lb test. Trilene by Berkley is a good choice, that's what I use myself. See this link, I'd recommend the models Trilene XL or Trilene XT.

Fishing lines by Berkley

And here's the knot you need to tie in order to attach the line to the spool of your reel, this is a proven and good knot for that purpose.

Use this knot on your reel

Awesome, so it can be changed? I was worried that thing was supposed to come off. I also needed a link to some good fisherman knots. I was taught that one, but forgot it so I really appreciate anything, Petey you've been a great help to an awful fisherman.

I'm going upto the cottage with the misses and her family. Primarily a Bass lake, about 45 minutes outside of Algonquin park.....No Idea on the exact location. All I know is I'm fishing as much as possible, and using Marshmellows, god knows I love'em so should the fish.

I didn't see any lilly pads, but i'll have a look. I caught one fish last year, tiny about 8". Got taught how to cut it up and cook it (my family isn't really outdoorsy so this is neat for me). Basically I plan to play on the trampolene and launch pad they have with the cottages then sit around fish, and try not to make a drunken ass of myself. I think I'm going to run out to Canadian tire in a minute and get that line. The fish I cuaght last year was with a marshmellow, I bought those Fishing specific type, but ran out so me and my g/fs grandpa gave some of the ones we were eating up :). Jesus Theo, now your getting me excited.

excuse my ignorance, but whats a Frog lure? and which knot would be the strongest for trying my new line in?

Awesome. I just got in from shopping around. I got some Line, $4 not bad, was going to spring for some of the good stuff, but I don't really care. This is 500 yd 12lb line. Red Wolf is what it was called. I was thinking about getting some of the brand Petey recommended for like $2 more, but figured I may screw this up and it's like 5X the length. What does the difference in weight do? Like would a 20lb line hurt my fishing (if that's possible).

Took some more pics here's my mess I'm working from. (I'll post finished pics after)

Fishingundone.jpg

Another question... do you just mean put a book onto the line as I reel it in?

As well I am unsure of a few things that cover the line. I have a blue and yellow arrow. As far as I know the blue isn't for anything, but the yellow I'm not sure. Could it be to put the line through?

Top.jpg

I was thinking the holes aren't for anything to be honest. I thought the lighter line may be easier to feel the fish. I'm hoping the cheaper stuff doesn't scare the fish away, but I think my chances of walking away with more than 2 are slim to none no matter what.

I thought the lighter line may be easier to feel the fish. I'm hoping the cheaper stuff doesn't scare the fish away.

A lighter line will help you feel it better, but will also break easier, which is a pain in the ass. And cheaper line won't scare the fish away.