Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimsandwich

Review of Sherwood 9990 Goalie Pads (Senior)

So I decided to take up goal this year and invested in a set of Sher-Wood 9990 pads and gloves. Once again, these are the senior version, not pro.

I have worn the pads for a few weeks now and here are my reviews thus far.

Important Notes

While this set of pads is new and leg pads are 11", these pads are NHL spec- Not IIHF. The leg pads and trapper do not satisfy IIHF regulations.

OVERALL RATINGS (out of 5)

Pads - 4

Blocker - 4

Glove-3

Pads- Affordable at 350-400$, these are nice pads but durability is my only concern. Upon a few sessions of wearing the set, I noticed a tear in the inside leg seam. In calling the place of purchase, I was able to exchange them with no hassle. My second set has not had any issues and I have used them for 6 weeks now 3-5 days per week.

These pads take some time to break in. Rebounds rocket out upon a foot level butterfly save. Five-hole coverage is great in butterfly which has always been a difficulty for me to get used to. But these pads have made it easier.

Knee stacks are stiff. OK-really stiff. I am looking to replace the foam in the middle stack (there are 3). Also, the Knee strap is HUGE. During the first few skates, I popped out of the knee stacks and hit the ice. First change, knee pads. Next, I read a forum and saw that many people had the same issues. To address the issue, I added industrial velcrow to my pads in this area and the strap to lock my knee in. Much better and the pop out issue has not occured again.

Blocker- Great. Very padded and comfortable. Durable and well made. Not light weight or thin.

Glove- Decent at best. Took some time to break in. Outer padding is decent but fairly low quality. Good enough for rec league. Does not have much room to tighten the glove. It doesn't bother me because I like my gloves a bit loose.