Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

srv2miker

Any thoughts on these pads?

Hey Folks,

I've searched the internet high and low to find reviews on these Brian's Beast pads, but I can only find ne decent review on GSBB, and it's not the current model. This pair is from 2004 (I believe, any ideas?) and I just want to know if they are well reviewed or not.

As I've stated before, I'm just starting out as goalie, and pretty new at all this stuff, so how would this pad work out for a newbie?

As always, as your responses are appreciated!

Mike

*edit: added image*

gear.jpg

The beast is a solid pad and should serve the "just starting" goalie very well. They function well both for the stand-up oriented goalie and those that tend toward the butterfly or hybrid styles.

More importantly would be condition of the pads vs the asking price.

::m

The beast is a solid pad and should serve the "just starting" goalie very well. They function well both for the stand-up oriented goalie and those that tend toward the butterfly or hybrid styles.

More importantly would be condition of the pads vs the asking price.

::m

Price was great (IMHO), $300 CAN for the set. Condition was good for a used set. Not perfect, but nothing major - maybe one strap replacement in the near future and that's about it.

Those will be 12" wide non-NHL-spec pads and the old, rather large Senior size gloves. Brian's wasn't *too* oversized in glove fit, so you don't need to have chimp hands to use them. Plus, Brian's blockers are just about the lightest you'll find at retail.

The Beast was a rather nice compromise between traditional stuffed-pad flexibility (chiefly the knee- and shin-rolls) with a solid set of modern features (knee-cradle, hard sliding surfaces, LD and HD foams, etc.) - the definition of a hybrid pad. They will be relatively heavy, especially at 12", but certainly manageable. Very well-made, and should last you a while.

$300 is an OK price, but you might talk him down a bit. I always advise people to get 11" wide pads simply because they're easier to learn with - much easier to skate with 2" less bulk between your knees. The resale value on NHL-spec gear is also way, way higher. That said, you still pay a premium for NHL-spec, and you almost certainly won't find a NHL-spec set for less than $300.

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I ended up buying them, and he threw in a pair of Vaughn Velocity pants, for free. All in all pretty happy so far, but won't know for sure until I'm on the ice.

i would have to agree immensely here with law goalie. whole set of pads plus a very nice set of pants for 300$ canadian. you might as well have hit the lottery. i hope you like them.