Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

srv2miker

RBK 8K vs TPS R6

Hey All,

No shops around me carry the TPS line, so I was curious if anyone had any feedback on the R6s, as compared to the 8Ks. I've been looking at both right now, but I can only find 1 or 2 reviews on the R6s - anyone have any firsthand experience?

Here's what I'm looking for in a pad:

- butterfly specific

- good for wide butterfly

- vertically stiff

- good landing gear

- Bare leg channel

Thanks,

Mike

Quality-wise, they're pretty much on par: offshore price-point gear with a lot of material compromises.

As for the differences in design & function...

RBKs basically have no ankle-break. You cannot flex the boot relatively to the shin unless you actually break the joint inside the pad. TPS pads have a very, very flexible ankle-break (even more so than a Velocity), and the boot itself of a TPS pad is relatively soft and will change shape over time. There are pictures of Dwayne Roloson with his old Summits practically wrapped around his foot. The R-series are a little stiffer in the boot, but the ankle is still very flexy.

The R-series has what is commonly called a flat inside (or medial) gusset. This means that the inside edge of the pad (which sits on the ice in the butterfly) is at right angles to the face of the pad and completely flat. The RBKs have what's called a medial roll: a thin half-tube of soft LD foam running the entire length of the inside gusset. This allows the pad to seal to the ice and is, I find, slightly more stable and comfortable in the butterfly than a completely flat medial gusset. They're both very usable butterfly pads - it's just that the RBK will feel a little more stable in this respect.

RBKs are, of course, stiff through the knee and thigh (excepting the Turco-break); most of the TPS pads now come with the adjustable stiffener system, so that you can have anything from a floppy-top to a plank-pad.

TPS pads also offer a great deal more in terms of aftermarket adjustment: there's a ton of stuff you can move or take out to modify or just totally gut out the leg-channel. With an RBK, you'd better love the design because it's not going to change: they don't break in, nothing comes out without a seam-ripper, and you can't even get custom changes at the factory done unless your name is Marty Turco.

On balance, I'd say the TPS design would work better for you.

Check your PMs as well, Miker...

So I thought I would add an update here, for reference.

I spent a lot of time researching these pads to death, both here and on GSBB. The price difference between pads was $50 CAN (RBK more expensive), so it was close, but not negligibly so. Reviews of the R6's tended to be fairly negative towards build quality (in relation to pro pads), while the 8k was more mixed, with about an equal number of people having problems or having no problems at all. (One interesting thing to note about the 8ks is that many of problems most frequently found on the pad were also noticed on the pro-level pad - take that for what it's worth).

There were a few things the R6 had that I really wished the 8k would've had, like the sliding toe-bridge, and the integrated thigh protector. Likewise, the R6 would've been more attractive with more adjustment options in the strapping system, and with no speed buckles (personal pref.). Cosmetics I don't care about, so the pad graphics didn't sway me one way or the other.

Playing a minor role in my decision was my experience with both manufacturers other products (granted, it was as a skater, but still...). My TPS R8 shaft was garbage after a few ice times, while my all my RBK products (inc. my 4K shins which I love) are still going strong. I know it's not completely relevant, but it's hard to look past when you've been bitten once.

In the end, despite some very helpful advice from the Law, I chose the RBK 8ks. I think they will be a good fit for my style, and the pieces I think they're missing (thigh guards, sliding toe bridges) are easy aftermarket additions, as opposed to the R6's shortcomings. I really like the idea of the rounded medial roll, and the stiffness will be a big plus for me.

The pads are waiting to be picked up tomorrow, and hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to do an "out-of-the-box" review on them for this board.

Unfortunately (as you will see when I post pics), in order to get a great price ($299 CAN) I had to swallow my pride a little and make a compromise that I would normally not make. Yes, I will be the 28 year-old loser on a rink near you playing with the 37" RBK "Graffiti" pads. I was hesitant to buy them because of that terrible graphic, but in the end I couldn't justify an extra $100 or more just for different graphics that will get covered in puck marks anyway. Families and mortgages do that to a person.

I looked at it as an opportunity - sure I have lame looking pads, but they're a great deal. Just another sign I'm turning into my old man.

Of the two, that was probably the best pick in terms of quality; the TPS design might have some advantages, but those might not hold up in the long run.

Sliding toe-bridges are a very good addition. I'd suggest buying them through Viper Hockey on eBay - James does great work, and you can't beat the price. I honestly have no idea why RBK hasn't adopted them yet. Michel Lefebvre is a brilliant but very, very stubborn man...

I wouldn't bother with thigh-guards -- just get knee-pads. Any thigh/knee protection that attaches to the pads is going to be at odds with your natural movement at some point.

I actually don't mind the graffiti, but do bear in mind that this kind of screening will peel and smudge like mad. You'll look like a mile of pad road in no time; but possibly in a good way, and $300 for a set of NHL-spec pads is never a wholly bad deal.

All in all, I think you'll find your butterfly game massively improved by the RBK's. They may feel a little cumbersome at first, but stick with them. With the RBK design, you really have to learn to use the pad to make saves; the pad is never going to break in to your style. Personally, that battle would drive me insane, but I'm already rather set in my ways.