Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ahriman

Leg Pad condition

alright, so I know jack about the value of goalie gear (especially used gear), which is not good since I'm putting together a goalie set. Doing it as cheaply as possible but without being stupid. If I like playing in net, I'll get better stuff once I learn how to play and develop a better sense of what kind of pads I want.

So lets just assume you were looking for a learners first time pads, looking to last a year, maybe two at once a week in winter, because that's what I'm doing. :P Any idea if these look like they'll make it or only last a few days on the ice? The toe bridges look a little rusted out and there is that one strap there.... but to me at least they seem nice enough. Very squishy as well, I would assume very squishy is better than very stiff for a new goalie. Any suggestion on what you'd pay for them as well would be dandy. (They arent being sold by a member here or on ebay fyi)

Pads.jpg

Leg channel

Leg channel 2

Ripped Strap

toe bridge 1

toe bridge 2

bottom

Those would be either Vamp 4.8s or 10.8s, on account of the toe-caps. They appear to be 10.8s - the double boot-straps and the little tabs on the toe-cap through which the lower boot-straps run are a pretty good indication, but you should confirm this. The 10.8s were a pro-level pad, and should easily shrug off another year of use; the 4.8s were a price-point pad, and while better made than some on the market now, were still decidedly sub-standard. Neither will have outstanding resale or long-term value, but the 10.8s are vastly better in all respects.

They wouldn't be my ideal choice as a beginner pad for a few reasons, having mainly to do with the depth of the boot- and leg-channel, and the way the crucial knee-landing is set up, but they do have some advantages. They are a more forgiving pad in being traditionally stuffed, and the 10.8s had an adjustable knee-lock, allowing some flexibility of fit.

Generally speaking, the five places you need to look for signs of wear on used pads are:

1) The binding around the toe of the pad, especially on the medial (inside) edge which is most often in contact with the ice.

2) The knee area on the medial edge, both on the knee-wing itself and the gusset of the pad.

3 ) The calf-wing & gusset.

4) The underside of the boot.

5) The backing of the pad (what touches your leg) particularly around the knee.

I can't see 1, 3 or 4 from your pictures. That ripped strap could be a big issue - that's not easily repaired without opening up the entire pad, *unless* the part it's been sewn into is a flap that lifts away from the body of the pad. If that is the case (as I believe it is on the 10.8s), fixing that strap is a two-minute job; if that strap is sewn into the side of the pad itself, it's much more involved. I can see one little tear in the leg channel on one pad, but it's hard to tell if it's a freak tear or something that will worsen with time.

(yeah they are 10.8s)

I honestly dont know how old they are though.

Thanks Law, in the meantime I was able to get a quote of about $30-35 to get the straps fixed up. Though I think the seller might be asking for far too much given that the toe bridge is rusted solid and a few other quirks but they might get more desperate to sell or stop caring in another month or so.

Good that they're 10.8s - it makes their age kind of irrelevant. If there are no visible signs of wear or damage, they're assuredly solid internally.

$35 is a bit high to replace the strap (including the replacement strap itself, I presume), but not unreasonable. If it is indeed attached to a flap, you could do it in seconds.

I wouldn't worry too much about the toe bridge bolts. They're probably 10-32 or 1/4" T-nuts, which you can get anywhere alongside machine screws. If the rust bothers you, just drill them out and replace them with fresh stainless ones.

Its more like $35 for 3 straps and a buckle, so I think thats decent enough. Asking price is somewhere in the $200-$250 range which seems excessive to me considering the listings I've seen for other used pads; honestly though I dont know though because I'm not a very good judge of quality of what makes a used pad still worth the money and I dont know what was a low end pad or high end from anything more than 3 years ago.

But if y'all think they are in decent shape, and they were indeed very nice pads to begin with I think I'm leaning towards them.

That's more than I'd pay for them. 12"-wide Velocities rarely break $200 these days even in good condition, and a pair of mint second-generation Koho 580s (albethey purple) went for $125 a few days ago. Non-pro-spec pads just don't move for much.

Repair price makes more sense now. If you ended up spending $200 including the repairs (so $165 for the pads), that's a fair deal, but not a good deal.

Yeah thats what I figured. I might keep looking I might haggle a little. I've literally had the pads in my living room for about a month now and they dont mind waiting for them to get some use before deciding on them, which will be a little longer yet considering I'm short a helmet, C/A or pants yet as well; which leads leads me to believe they might just want to get rid of them period :P

If you have a PIAS in your area, they're great for goalie pants. The prices tend to be quite good, especially since most of their other goalie gear is absurdly overpriced, and shipping goalie pants is an exercise in expensive frustration. C/A's and masks are much easier traffik.

yup I stop (all three shops) in once in awhile and check it out, plus staubers goal crease gets used gear in time to time. Honestly though the best listings seem to be on the local beginners league, all local listings. I guess the lesson of the thread is that these are defiantly overpriced especially considering I'm in the middle of minnesota, if I cant find decent used gear here I'm not trying hard enough.

It's tricky... I knew nothing about the new style of gear (after eight years off) so I gradually pieced together a set that would help me figure out how to order a proper custom set eventually. Almost there...