Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

timberwolves31

Vaughn Velocity 7600 Super Flex

I saw this on goalie monkey, i'm just wondering if anyone has used it? I'm in Canada and looking at a new chest protector and i've never seen these here. I'm curious to know if it was that much lighter and flexible to the point of ordering it in rather than buying the stock one here.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-goalie-...y-7600-pro.html

as compared to

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-goalie-...y-7500-pro.html

I have seen them both in person but have not used either of them.

IMO the weight difference is negligible to nonexistent. The arms on the 7600 are more flexible when the units are new and the padding seems to be the same for both C/As.

I wish I could give you more information but, not having used either of them, this is all I can really say.

I have never used any of those but i would personally go with the flexable one. Its hard enough to break in a C/A as it is so why not have the arms done already?

Yeah I wanted to make sure the padding on the superflex one was still the same, I'm coming from a v2 I've had for 4 years. It's getting small but i hate new chest protectors. Going into junior hockey though the padding needs to be there.

i agree. i had to buy a new C/A for my high school team because i had a few bruises from my vaughn velocity. upgrading to my rbk was well worth the protection. im bruise free now :D

The reeboks look so bulky though, thats the only thing steering them away from me...was looking around again too, what about the brians zero G, i've heard they are very lightweight and brians have always had solid protection, any thoughts?

The reeboks look so bulky though, thats the only thing steering them away from me...was looking around again too, what about the brians zero G, i've heard they are very lightweight and brians have always had solid protection, any thoughts?

I wouldn't go with the Zero-G if you want flexibility. The arms are some of the stiffest out there. I'm sure they'd break in, but off the shelf the Vaughns are the way to go.

yeah i wouldn't mind having it flexible off the shelf, but the padding needs to be there too, i was curious if the vaughn downsized the arm padding to increase flexibility...i've never seen the super flex in any store around here so if i decided to order it, it would be based on comments and reviews

they are quite bulky actually. but i played around with the straps and got it to fit pretty well. and i think adding size in the net is always a plus

yeah i wouldn't mind having it flexible off the shelf, but the padding needs to be there too, i was curious if the vaughn downsized the arm padding to increase flexibility...i've never seen the super flex in any store around here so if i decided to order it, it would be based on comments and reviews

I believe it is a Goalie Monkey exclusive.

The only difference I noticed, in person, was the material of the arm covering. The padding seemed the same.

The principle advantage of the Zero-G is that it has no plastic: it's all layerings of LD and HD foams. This not only makes it significantly lighter, but allows it to break-in like no other C/A on the market. It will be bulky at first, but is will conform nicely with time and use. The reason Brian's can do this is that one of their part owners runs a foam company that deals in molding, shaping and laminating Plastazote foams, among others. Any other C/A on the market will only break in so far before you start hitting plastic. Ditto the Zero-G pants. I've yet to use either on the ice, but they are remarkably light and pliable.

The Vaughn Superflex isn't something I've seen personally, but about the only ways to make a C/A feel more flexible in the arms are to loosen the points of attachment (more material, fewer stitches or laced eyelets) or to soften the padding at the joint. It could be that the exterior padding at the shoulder is the same (the padded plastic shoulder cap), but that the padding around it has been softened. No way to tell how it impacts protection without using it or dismantling it.

One thing to look for in a C/A is whether the arms are sewn or laced in; if they're laced, it's very easy to adjust where and how much the arms are laced in. I've seen units that were laced through about eight pairs of eyelets by default, which were subsequently re-laced to use only three pairs and greatly improved mobility at the shoulder. If the arms are sewn in, you'll need an awl and some clamps to do an easy job.