Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DangerIsGo

Smith Pads & Goal Skates questions

Hi again all,

I just finished with the Smith demo set and I was happy with them. I was not happy with the knee guards though. I put them under my socks and they literally pulverized my skin...I put them above my sock (visible) and they shifted along with having the straps of the guards shift so that they get caught in the back of my knee rather than staying put. Is there a way to fix that? Overall I was happy with the pads and am looking to customize my own for a future purchase.

My second question is regarding skates. I went to try on skates at a sports store here in NJ and they only had the the high and low end stuff (Reebok 9K and 4Ks, One95 and One55) in stock in my size. My question is what are the differences between the levels (One95, One75, One55 for example) and what would be suitable for a mens league? I tried on the Reebok 4Ks which they did have in my size in stock, but I'm not sure how well they would last or how well they would hold up, likewise with the One95s or the 9Ks, they were much too much $.

Thanks in advance.

There have been a few issues with Smith's knee-pads, all of which I'm sure he's carefully reviewing.

So far, the best results have come from wearing the knee-pads under hockey socks, but over a pair of compression tights, sweatpants, or the like. The lower-strap on the knee-pad should be relatively snug, and the top relatively loose; the snugness at the bottom can be supplemented with a wrap of clear tape over the sock.

As far as skates, pick what fits. The One55 and 4K are both quite good price-point skates, and offer quite different fits in key areas of the boot. The differences between levels are largely a matter of durability and comfort: they are all relatively stiff, but the lower-end boots will break down faster and use slightly less cushy, comfortable materials around the foot.

If you have an extra pair of quality player skates that fit you well, you could always have those mounted in a pair of cowlings. This is somewhat tricky, but any decent shop should be able to do it. Many people balk at the idea of goalies using player boots, but I've never noticed a single problem.

The first link you listed is this years model, the lower one is last years.

I have the older model and it has held up well. I wish I could tell you the specific differences between then, besides graphics, but I have no experience with the newer skate.

Is there any difference in level of protection and durability?

The ones I have I got as used pro-returns and, a year later, they are still going strong with the exception that neither air bladder is working. I cannot speak to the durability of the newer ones, though.

The cowling is the same on both skates so I would imagine the protection is pretty similar as well.