Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chad Seibel

Innovation

All said and done, to talk about roller innovation only, yet including so many ice innovations.... except the big bad ice boot companies, who aren't really roller and put nothing back into the sport, but do, in fact, make the best hockey boots in the world.

Mission is and has been the most innovative roller hockey company, and from the first, they were bustin their asses on ice boots and holders. The Pitch, etc. I think we can probably count on Bauer continuing to put out excellent boots. Roller is important to ice. Same for Reebok/CCM, perfect example.

Beyond that, look at the ice to inline thread. Roller Hockey is every company making product not just roller hockey-only companies. In SoCal I see mostly Bauer and Reebok/CCM, Graffs, and older Missions and Tours. Getting territorial in the equipment zone is not conducive to innovation. Other than the few ROLLER ONLY products, most innovation is going to come down, not go up.

I would like to hear what you think it means to have a better turning radius from a HiLo skate. How do do you think it gives a better turning radius? How do you feel that the HiLo gives better turning and grip?

I am interested in hearing what your thoughts on this. I like to know what guys think, but I love hearing their reasons for why they think and believe what they do.

Thanks bro.

Sorry for the delay. I've been out for a few days...

I wear a 6 nikebauer size. The combination of small rinks + small feet, makes the traditional HI_LO the best choice for me.

Not as fast as all 80's or Vanguard but shorter wheelbase, and still faster than all 76's

I've also reinvented the wheel. It's as radical a departure as the chassis, and we're sitting on it because of the resistance to change in roller hockey. When it's done, it will lower the wheel cost, which is the biggest ticket in the sport. And probably reduce the weight, which is the biggest single weight factor in roller hockey. ;)

This post is more of a desire for innovation, rather than a statement of who has made one, as I see it as an area of the inline game that is severely lacking innovation, compared to the other aspects of the game.

What I'd really love to see is some innovation with regards to inline pucks. Given the technology that has been developed for wheels, with regards to separate cores, & multi-layer pours, I'd think that there'd be some potential for cross-over with regards to puck making.

I envision a puck that's basically as close to an ice puck with regards to feel as you can get. Personally I'd like to see the weight be closer to that of an ice puck as well, but that additional weight would need to be offset by a better (than current) glide/peg/slider configuration & material so that it would glide more like an ice puck on a variety of court surfaces. There also is a need for improvement in keeping the puck flat, instead of rolling. I have a few ideas on what should be relatively inexpensive ways to accomplish a more "ice-like" feel and improved resistance to "roll" with a slight increase in weight, but I have to think that there are manufacturer's out there that have had the same ideas, & decided not to implement them for one reason or another.

This post is more of a desire for innovation, rather than a statement of who has made one, as I see it as an area of the inline game that is severely lacking innovation, compared to the other aspects of the game.

What I'd really love to see is some innovation with regards to inline pucks. Given the technology that has been developed for wheels, with regards to separate cores, & multi-layer pours, I'd think that there'd be some potential for cross-over with regards to puck making.

I envision a puck that's basically as close to an ice puck with regards to feel as you can get. Personally I'd like to see the weight be closer to that of an ice puck as well, but that additional weight would need to be offset by a better (than current) glide/peg/slider configuration & material so that it would glide more like an ice puck on a variety of court surfaces. There also is a need for improvement in keeping the puck flat, instead of rolling. I have a few ideas on what should be relatively inexpensive ways to accomplish a more "ice-like" feel and improved resistance to "roll" with a slight increase in weight, but I have to think that there are manufacturer's out there that have had the same ideas, & decided not to implement them for one reason or another.

I have some puck ideas that might bring the mass and slide closer to an ice puck, and cut some rolling. If anybody ever wants to find out, I'm easy to find. We may not be the most innovative roller hockey company, but we probably are the most innovative company in roller hockey with the best one purchase product in the market, and a prosthetic foot/ankle that's designed to be mass produced in all sizes, inexpensivly, that is more radical than the frames and has horrified that industry in less than a year.

Bottom line, the only good tech is the tech you own. Everything else is the enemy. Having a killer pro team does not make your product better or worse than it already is. You don't need a team for testing the relative performance of a group of frames. If the performance can't be tested then a lot of money is being spent on hunches and wishes by a lot of companies.

Who cares about the inline hockey world enough to look at the sport and address the needs of it? An example would be the upper body protector. Here is a product that was not in the market and Tour saw the need for a protective garment that would help protect the players who did not want traditional shoulder pads. I know I am putting a plug out there for the company I work for, but I just think sometimes marketing gets in the way of what is really happening out there and which companies truly care about our sport.

forgive me for joining this thread so late and i know this post is off topic, but...

i never see any inline players wearing the upper body protecters made by any of the manufacturers. i'm not saying that they're not a good product. in fact, i own one and i like it. but i only use it for ice hockey pickup games. and i've seen many other ice players wearing them but no inline players. they're just too hot for me to wear for inline. is it just my neck of the woods where inline players don't wear them? obviously they sell, but are they only being purchased by ice players?

The majority of the Upper Body protectors are being sold to the kids in roller hockey. There are some players that are 18 or older that wear them occasionally, but the majority of them do not wear anything and the kids make up the bulk of the sales.

That said, I have seen a number of adults in ice and refs wearing these.

Are these gonna happen? I thought you had sold, or were in the process of selling the company?

Process is almost endless. Selling was something we wanted out there in case anyone was feeling acquisitive. These will get made.

Process is almost endless. Selling was something we wanted out there in case anyone was feeling acquisitive. These will get made.

I see, sortof a "everything's for sale, for the right price..." Keep us updated on those sniper frames.