Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carv

Help deciding on a mask

I wasn't planning on getting a mask for my son this year but somehow I am now... This equipment buying seems to take on a life of its own. :smile:

Anywho - I am looking at the following options:

- Sportmask Ricochet VE jr (lightly used) $160 on Kijiji out of town

- Hackva jr (lightly used) $200 on Kijiji out of town

- Sportmask Ricochet VE jr (new) $239 out of town

We may be able to try on a Hackva but I am not sure where to find a sportmask dealer in Montreal.

My son is 8 playing Novice (B or C) and his head measures 20.5 inches around. I think that is the junior size of both the Hackva and the Sportmask.

Any thoughts or comments? Thanks in advance.

my ONLY opinion would be to have your son actually try on the masks first before you ever spend any money on them. Every mask has a different fit, and i mean every mask. For instance i fit like a glove in Eddy & old Badger masks but do not fit in the new Bauer & Vaughn masks....its all a personal preference depending on his face shape. Because the head is the most important thing to keep safe!

You need to make sure the masks are certified.

Ricochet would definitely be lighter then Hackva. Hackva has a full layer of kevlar in it, but for 8 year olds it is probably OK without :-).

I would go with a lighter weight. My backup mask is an XL Ricochet and I love it. Tried the Hackva, definitely a tank, very protective, but sitelines are terrible.

Also, there is a video on Sprtmask's site of Tony (the mask maker) taking shots to the head from the puck machine while wearing a Ricochet.

Best of luck Sir.

my ONLY opinion would be to have your son actually try on the masks first before you ever spend any money on them. Every mask has a different fit, and i mean every mask. For instance i fit like a glove in Eddy & old Badger masks but do not fit in the new Bauer & Vaughn masks....its all a personal preference depending on his face shape. Because the head is the most important thing to keep safe!