Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
AIREAYE

CCM Tacks 652 Shin Pads

Background: Shot blocking forward playing recreational/occasionally competitive hockey. I know these pads are old, but I've seen many pairs of them at several National Sports locations so in case any of you were just browsing through, here's what I have to offer.

Fit

Not as streamlined as Bauer shinpads (Supreme/Vapor) but not as bulky/wide as the Reebok pads. These aren't the tightest or snuggest fitting pads, but the dual straps and the ample calf wrap will keep them from slipping and sliding assuming you purchase the correct size. Comparatively, the knee area (due to flexing of the knee joint) is looser in fit compared to the wrapped calf/shin area.

8/10

Protection

This is where this model absolutely blew me away. They are TANKS; I've taken slashes, slap shots, collisions with the boards and other players and have felt nothing as a result. The protection on the calf wrap was also nice to see, as they reach almost completely around the leg and the thicker foams provide good protection in that area.

10/10

Weight

Despite being a more bulky pad with plenty of protection, it appears that weight was not sacrificed as a result. While they might not be the lightest pads, they certainly won't be noticeable either.

9/10

Durability

I've used these pads for almost 3 seasons now (including summers, so 3 years basically) and aside from minor cosmetic paint scratches on the front of the plastic (expected of course) and sweat discoloration, there are no major issues to be concerned about

9/10

Intangibles

Despite being a price point pad, CCM's TACKS 652s are definitely irreplaceable for me. Being a shot blocker as well as a speedy skater, I value the protection and versatility of these pads and probably won't be inclined to consider newer replacements. The removable inner liner (which can be washed) was a nice bonus in terms of drying the equipment.

9/10

Overall:

9/10