Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

penum

Mission HE5500 chassis question and some footbed/insole info

Hi there, long time reader first time poster.

I have a pair of Mission 5500s that I have been using for outdoor during the summer and the occasional sportcourt/ice court game. I just started in a league last week and find myself having trouble shifting from ice to inline and especially back to ice again. I try to play ice 2-3 days per week and recently got a pair of U+12s which make the 5500s seem like lead weights.

Anyways I tried reading bits of 200+page sprung chassis stuff but I was wondering am I going to feel more like skating on ice with sprung setup compared to the HiLo? Also my skates are a 8EE so I gather I need a A6? Do I have to buy all new wheels? I assume sprung is setup for 76s through. What about TUUKS? Are the Sprungs or TUUKS lighter than the HiLo?

I spent most of my life skating inline in the summers and started ice hockey at 22 (now 26) and I am finding it feels really strange to get back on the ice after playing just one right of roller, which is opposite to what it was 4 years ago because I knew the mechanics of skating but could not stop or turn properly on ice.

Anyways there seems to be some discussion on these boards about footbeds/isoles. I have flat feet with a narrow heel and regular mid and forefoot. I have had tremendous problems finding skates that don't kill my feet. I found a guy at a LHS here in Vancouver who also has flat feet and fit me in the 5500s the stock insole was terrible it put arch support right where I dont have an arch so he gave me these Nike thermo footbeds which start flat and mold to your feet (see pics below). These are the most comfortable skates I own now. They are composed of a more rigid orange bottom piece with the softer moldable material on top. Best part is they only cost $25. Unfortunately nike stopped making them a year or two ago and now graf has the same offering for much more. Anyways thought some of you may find them interesting.

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

comparison of nike thermo footbed/insole and stock CCM U+12 insole

Hi there, long time reader first time poster.

I have a pair of Mission 5500s that I have been using for outdoor during the summer and the occasional sportcourt/ice court game. I just started in a league last week and find myself having trouble shifting from ice to inline and especially back to ice again. I try to play ice 2-3 days per week and recently got a pair of U+12s which make the 5500s seem like lead weights.

Anyways I tried reading bits of 200+page sprung chassis stuff but I was wondering am I going to feel more like skating on ice with sprung setup compared to the HiLo? Also my skates are a 8EE so I gather I need a A6? Do I have to buy all new wheels? I assume sprung is setup for 76s through. What about TUUKS? Are the Sprungs or TUUKS lighter than the HiLo?

I spent most of my life skating inline in the summers and started ice hockey at 22 (now 26) and I am finding it feels really strange to get back on the ice after playing just one right of roller, which is opposite to what it was 4 years ago because I knew the mechanics of skating but could not stop or turn properly on ice.

Anyways there seems to be some discussion on these boards about footbeds/isoles. I have flat feet with a narrow heel and regular mid and forefoot. I have had tremendous problems finding skates that don't kill my feet. I found a guy at a LHS here in Vancouver who also has flat feet and fit me in the 5500s the stock insole was terrible it put arch support right where I dont have an arch so he gave me these Nike thermo footbeds which start flat and mold to your feet (see pics below). These are the most comfortable skates I own now. They are composed of a more rigid orange bottom piece with the softer moldable material on top. Best part is they only cost $25. Unfortunately nike stopped making them a year or two ago and now graf has the same offering for much more. Anyways thought some of you may find them interesting.

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

comparison of nike thermo footbed/insole and stock CCM U+12 insole

9HeiliumA7.jpg

Sprungs will give you enough ice feel to make back and forth between ice and roller easy. They will help your ice game. They'll make it easier to do your ice stuff on land. Our biggest audience is ice/roller players, and second is ice only for off-ice training.