Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
stlBeerLeagueChamp

Bauer Vapor x4.0

My first review, here goes:

Bauer Vapor x4.0 - 9EE

Foot size - narrow to medium heel, average arch, wider forefoot

Play two-four times a week

Last skate worn: CCM Tacks 352(circa 2000) 9D and Bauer Supreme one60 9D

A little background on me: I have been playing inline for quite some time but was recently urged to give ice a shot(OMG IT'S MORE AWESOMER THAN INLINE). Originally growing up in Tennessee there was not a whole lot of ice hockey around until late high school..and it was too expensive for me to get into. I picked up my tacks on Craigslist for $20 about a year ago and they have been a hell of a skate. I slowly got more serious and decided to join a league and get some new skates that would be lighter and faster (5-6 months ago).

After doing a bit of research and listening to/reading reviews I decided to pick up a pair of the Bauer Supreme one60s. I thought these skates were amazing at the store the way they fit my foot so snug. Well after a few times out on the ice and my feet killing me I decided to bake them a second time to see if they would loosen up. They didn't. I also thought "well if I just skate in them more they will eventually loosen up" and it never happened (6 months of skating in them two-three times a week). Well after doing more research and measuring I figured out that I should be wearing a wider skate..whoops!

Ok so I'm at the hockey shop again and this time they have every single skate in that price range in my size! After skating around a while in the one60's I had a way better idea what to look for in a new skate. My biggest complaint with the one60's other than forefoot fit was the lacebite..I felt like the tongue pad did a terrible job of protecting that area and I usually left the top 2 eyelets undone. After trying on 8 different pairs of skates and walking around in them and getting a feel for them I chose the Vapor x4.0..Here is my initial review on them and I'll keep it updated as I skate around in them more (I've had about 7 skates on them so far)

Fit (9/10)

-----------

Fit with the EE width was SPOT on in the forefoot, and the more I'm skating on them the more I realize how uncomfortable the D width supremes were. The one area I was a little concerned about was the heel and how they felt more open than say the Reeboks, but after having them baked and skating in them a few times I'm noticing 0 "empty space feeling" in the heel and they are locked in pretty well.

From my experience now with 3 different pairs of skates it will always come down to the way a skate fits me no matter what..The choice I was left with from trying all those skates on were the Vapors and Reebok 7k..I think the reebok had a softer feel and the heel was a little more snug, but the forefoot felt like I would be floating around in there quite a bit. The Vapors were stiffer which I liked.

Blade/Holder (9/10)

-------------------

Coming from the Supremes to the Vapors I am getting the exact same holder/steel. I thought this combo was way better feeling than my old Tacks and the supremes took a lot of shots right on that part of the skate. I can't imagine having issues with this holder/steel combo at the level hockey that I play.

Weight (8/10)

---------------

I want to say they feel a tad heavier on the foot than my Supremes, but I'm not noticing extra fatigue at the end of the game.. Perfect for developing or intermediate players and plenty sturdy for..

Protection (9/10)

-----------------

Since i'm not a good enough skater to get out of the way and I play a lot of D..I get a lot of sticks and pucks all over my foot. I took a pretty hard shot off the outside of my skate the other day and I felt it a little bit but probably would have been hurting/limping in my tacks. I want to say the shell feels stiffer than my supremes but I thought those had pretty decent protection too. Assume this is my final score unless I come back later with a terrible experience. The tongue feels thinner than the supreme and tacks tongue..however these skates gave me the least amount of lacebite while trying on other skates and it does a really good job of fitting behind the shin pads. I think the plastic strip in the tongue makes all the difference.

Durability (10/10 so far)

-------------------------

These feel much sturdier than any skate i've ever had on my feet. Also knowing people that have been skating on the same pair of bauers for 15 years has me thinking I won't need to worry about durability on these skates. Hell I see a lot more older vapors on people's feet than I do any other brand/type..I have faith! Will keep this updated as I skate on them more..

Performance (10/10)

-------------------

I actually feel like the siffer boot compared to my supremes puts a little more pep in my step if that makes sense.. I do know the boot is made to be a little more forward-pitched and I can say that I prefer that. These skates are absolutely awesome and give me a lot more confidence than my other skates!

Overall Assessment

------------------

I've been extremely happy with the skates thus far. If there was ONE thing I could change, it would be the way it looks. I'm not really one for flashy skates and while I do feel like it's tastefully flashy, it's not as tastefully flashy as last years vapors or my supremes. The red liner is kind of ugly.

If you are looking at a skate in this price range I feel like you will be extremely satisfied with the fit, performance, and stiffness/durability of this skate!