Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Spence4101

Miken MV-5 Radial

Miken Mv-5 Radial

Flex: 90

Curve: BP 23 (Drury Clone)

Background

Height: 5' 9"

Weight: 150 Lbs

Level of Play: Tier III Jr. A

On Ice: 5-7 times a week

Prior sticks used: Nike Bauer Vapor XXXX, Bauer One95, Easton Synthesis, Warrior AK-27, Easton S17, Bauer X:60, CCM U+ CL

Aesthetics: The graphics on this stick could be classy and subtle if they just left it with the red logo with a primarily black still, however, the massive amount of random logos and designs on the shaft really distract from that "subtle" look that they half-heartily seem to go for. 5/10

Shaft: Because I got the radial version of this stick, the edges of the shaft are rounded similarly to the Vapor line of sticks, its also offered in a more boxy shaft with the standard mv-5, like the stealth cnt or s17 shaft shape. The grip on this stick is perfect to what I want from a grip coating, it's powdery in order to allow for hand movement along the shaft, but still with enough grip to get a good torque on the shaft while shooting. This is mainly personal preference but they offer both shaft shapes so there is some diversity in their line up. 9/10

Weight/Balance: This stick is quite heavy compared to other top of the line sticks, but it isn't very noticeable while on the ice. The balance shifts towards the blade heavy side a little bit but I put a wood end plug into it in order to dampen and make it less blade heavy and it worked quite well. 7/10

Blade/Feel: The feel of this stick is simply beautiful, the blade feels solid against the puck and gives a very good response without too much feedback. It is a stiff blade in general but mine has began to soften up a little bit, but this has been the case with most of the sticks I've owned. Stickhandling is effortless with this stick, I feel like I have more control of the puck than I had with other sticks, this rivals the feel of the One95 which was the best stick I've ever owned. 9/10

Shooting: Shooting with this stick is a pleasure, pucks rocket off the blade and the shaft torques perfectly for slap shots with the mid kick-point. My shot, especially my slap shot I believe are harder than my shot with previous sticks because this stick allows me to shoot lasers. This area is where the mv-5 really shines. 10/10

Durability: I've had this stick for a little over a month now and the shaft durability has been great, there isn't a single scratch on the thing, however, there is a small crack starting at the top of the blade which is pretty typical for a stick I've had for that long. The durability is decent, but not great compared to some other sticks. 7/10

Value: I received this stick for free and while using it I decided if I had not gotten it this way, I would not have paid full price for it ($200) because there are simply too many better sticks than this one in that price range. However, you can pick these up on sale at many retailers for about $150 which I believe is a pretty fair price for this stick. 7/10

Conclusion: Overall, the Miken Mv-5 is a decent stick for the sale price, and as a newer company they have produced a decent product, but until they improve the quality of their stick, they will not be able to compete with the top brands in any way. There are many sticks in the price range of the Miken Mv-5 (full price) that preform and feel much better, and that is why ultimately, this stick comes up short.

Miken MV-5 Pro Radial

Flex: 90

Curve: BP10 Similar to Sakic

Height: 6'

Weight: 380

Postition: RW/LW

Time-frame of use: Since December 2011

Aesthetics: I love the look of the MV5. It's subtle with the red and black and doesn't stand out a lot like other sticks on the ice.

Weight and Balance: The weight is lighter than my other stick (Easton synergy) and I find it to be very balanced when in one hand when poke checking somebody. 9/10

Blade: I have a Sakic type blade and I can put the puck any where I am aiming, I find it really has an amazing feel when puck handling and shooting a wrist shot or snap shot. My slap shots have a lot to be desired so I couldn't really comment on a slap shot and the blade. 8/10

Shaft/Flex: I always go with a 90 flex because it's what I love, how ever I wish I went with a lower flex as I have just learned snap shots and I feel as if I don't have enough flex. Not sure if this is the shafts fault or my own. How ever, I am getting adjusted to it slowly and it will get better with time. 6/10

Stickhandling and Passing: The stickhandling is amazing with this stick as you can feel the puck on the blade. The passing has a little to be desired as my passes don't go where I send them some times. Not sure if it's me or the blade or what. 7/10

Shooting: I can shoot snap shots all day with this stick and hit my target. Wrist shots also really go off this stick as well very nicely. I feel if your looking for a stick that will perform in the shooting category, this is the stick 8/10

Durability: Since using it in December, I have no paint chips or anything. I'm usually the one getting slashed all game and I have yet to see a chip at all. 9/10

Conclusion: I would recommend this stick to people who really want a great feeling stick that can shoot wristers and snap shots all day. I will be buying another one when this one breaks.