Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jah713

Moving to the Phoenix Area

I'm moving to the Surprise/Phoenix area of Arizona in the next month or so and one of my priorities is finding some ice time (and perhaps a team). Anyone play in the area? What's the competition like and how are the rinks?

Thanks in advance!

I just read your post. The nearest ring would be Polar Ice Peoria. It is a dump, but it is ice in the desert and not an hour away in Scottsdale, it could be awesome, but is severely mismanaged and the owner uses it as a writoff so I am told. The competition ranges. I thought coming from Pittsburgh and taking 10 years off, I would just start playing again and start housing these Arizona guys, but many here are very skilled players as most people here are not born in Phoenix. There are a ton of Canadiens living here and the Junior and travel hockey programs keep making some very good players as well. Polar ice breaks it up for pick up, they have advanced pick up vs the regular scheduled one. I play in C league there and the 911 League on Monday mornings(Police Fire pick up). The leagues are similar to those I have been in back east, just with a bit more of a gap in terms of talent. Also, I heard through a friends fiance whos company put in a bid, that there are plans to build a rink in Surprise near the movie theater at Waddell and Litchfield(I think) in 2013-14. That will be awesome as I live in Surprise also, great safe neighborhood! The current season at Polar Ice is going untill March, or something. Then the spring and summer leagues will start up. You can call Mary at Polar Ice and sign up, she will place you on a team in accordance with your skill level( when you pay of course). It is like all leagues though, C league has turned into A league of late and is probably due to the playoffs coming up so teams stack the rosters just like anywhere else. They are on the web too, just search for Polar Ice Peoria and you will find the link, the schedules for everything is under the adult hockey area on the site. Hope this helps, it is crazy to come out of the rink into 90-100 degree weather though, I still have not gotten used to that...Lol!