Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

Advantages of hi-lo setup?

So now that I figured out how to pop out my bearings and change my wheels (just started playing beer league roller hockey few months ago), I might try some new setups. The hi-lo intrigues me.

For folks who use this setup, how do you like it, what are its advantages, is there a discernible difference between hi-lo and "standard", etc.

Agreed, you should only use the wheel sizes that your chassis is made for. Outside of changing the whole chassis for something else, you should stick with what you have.

Now that being said, the general thought that larger wheel diameters give you a bit better speed. So if you have a 72-72-80-80 chassis, then changing to an 80-80-80-80 chassis might help in that department. However, I think most people would say the advantage is noticable, but fairly minimal.

I think that a better path to take is to install a really good set of smooth fast bearings. In my opinion, the Bones Reds are the best bang for the buck. The bonus is that they are easy to clean (which is the key to keeping them spinning fast and lasting longer then one season).

Good Luck.

Why shouldn't you stray from what the chassis is made for?

I've got a hi-lo (front) 76-76-80-80 (back)

But thinking about going with hi-lo (front) 72-76-80-76 (back)

Coming from ice to inline feels goofy to me, like the skates are clunky and the turns are wider

Why shouldn't you stray from what the chassis is made for?

I've got a hi-lo (front) 76-76-80-80 (back)

But thinking about going with hi-lo (front) 72-76-80-76 (back)

Coming from ice to inline feels goofy to me, like the skates are clunky and the turns are wider

you cannot skate as hard using only two wheels per skate. try to get some sprungs and you will feel better coming from ice.

So now that I figured out how to pop out my bearings and change my wheels (just started playing beer league roller hockey few months ago), I might try some new setups. The hi-lo intrigues me.

For folks who use this setup, how do you like it, what are its advantages, is there a discernible difference between hi-lo and "standard", etc.

the hilo is liked because it is a more forward skate pitch and shorter wheelbase (more agile). all 80 chassis are flat footed and higher off the ground. labeda isn't too high because the 2nd wheel is recessed into the outsole, but the alkali chassis is very high off the ground.

the benefits of all 80 are straight line speed and 'static' cornering grip. the longer the wheel base extends in the front, the more stride you can use so you can get a little more straight line speed. the 80mm front wheels also spin the bearings at a slower speed, meaning less bearing resistance. and since 80mm wheels have a potentially larger contact area with the ground, you can get more grip in turns. but i believe this is only applicable to 'static' turns (e.g. imagine the difference between a skid pad and slalom test for cars - short wheel base skate is better for slalom (dynamic) which is more like game type skating, long wheel base is better for skid pad (static) which is more useful for speed skating around an oval.

i prefer the original 80-72 hilo which are pitched most aggressively and require you to really bend your knees and use correct skating techniques. i think one of the reasons that skate companies have switched to all 80 is because most buyers are novice skaters and don't like the skating posture hilos put them in - forcing them to use their upper leg muscles more. the pitch can negatively affect their 'lazy' skating technique. even the 80-76 hilo is more neutral than the original.

with that said, you can still have good skating technique with all 80.