Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
gxc999

Combat 52 Caliber Reloaded (R) Stick

Mid-level Adult Player

5'11 178

25-35 uses

Stick Experience Recently:20k, S19,CL, X60.

2011/12 Combat 52 Caliber Reloaded Round OPS, 90 Flex, MC (Modano Curve)

Heritage:While Combat's partnership with True Temper is well known, the quality of their sticks largely is not. The Reloaded iteration slightly improves on the previous model and looks cooler to boot. While it's not a giant step forward, it's certainly reason enough to make the purchase. Recent Note: Get them while you can, as they've been bought out by Bauer and will soon be out to pasture entirely.

Graphics:The 52 Cal Reloaded is a very modern looking twig. It features a coloring scheme that is primarily white and black, with a secondary red motif. As I said, very modern. Competes with any other stick in terms of wow factor, graphically speaking. 9/10

Weight/balance:Feather light? No, lighter than that. My postal scale pegged this baby as 410 grams after I cut it down about 3 inches. It's very well balanced too. Neither blade heavy nor light. However what really amazes me is that despite being so light, this stick feels solid in your hands. 10/10

Shaft Feel:It's not a thin or thick shaft. It obviously feels rounded, which I prefer. Despite being light, it never feels flimsy. It also feels true to the 90 flex that is stamped on the shaft.

Performance:One word, insane. I've rarely found sticks that I loved on wristers, slappers, snappers and passing. The puck rockets off on slappers and one-timers. But the wristers and snappers are most noticeable. I prefer my quick shots with this stick to any other. It's definitely amongst the best overall, tied with the 20k pro stock models I have as the best shooting sticks I've ever used. I never, ever feel that the blade face opens up or that the stick torques wildly. All my attempts come off true to form. My single complaint with this stick is that I get a little bit of slap shot sting on my bottom hand sometimes. Maybe a little more dampening could solve that. 9.5/10

Puck handling:The blade does not give you the feel of wood, a la One95, but it's not ceramic or pingy either. I can easily locate the puck without looking at it while stick handling and never have an issue catching passes. It's quite remarkable. 9.5/10

Durability:I've got an older 52 Caliber that I used prior to this one, and both have seen many pick ups as well as stick times where I just wanted to impress people with my big slapper. Neither stick has worn down or whipped out. I think they have a combined one paint chipped, in about a total of 90 uses. Blade is still quite stiff. 10/10

Conclusion:If you still have a crack at one of these puppies on close out, take it, take it now! 9.5/10

Edited by gxc999

6' 185lbs

Over 30 uses for both ice and inline combined
Stick Experience Recently: Miken Z9 Razor, Bauer X60 & APX, Warrior Widow & Dynasty.

2011/12 Combat 52 Caliber Reloaded Round OPS, 80 Flex

Graphics:10/10

The 52 Cal Reloaded is a very nice looking stick, simplistic yet modern. White Combat logo on black background, and you could see the carbon weave if you look at the stick closely going through the entire length of the stick. The red accents really stand out, and I believe its one of the best looking sticks out there. Forget the bling and silver... I think Combat hit a home run here with this graphic package

Weight/balance: 9.5/10

Very very light weight, and I had it cut down 4inch as i like a shorter stick. Even with taking that much off the top, it still feels very balanced. The balance point is still around the bottom third of the stick, which feels very good in my hands. I have now included a tacki-mac at the top, and obviously the balance point has move higher up the shaft. I've had kids and other adults take the stick and puck handle, and everyone has given it two thumbs up for the balance and weight. By far one of the lightest sticks I've used, only losing out to the XN10 (but not by much).

Shaft Feel: 10/10

I really like the feel of the shaft, the rounded edges really give it a comfortable feeling. I would compare it to the X60/APX, but the Combat has a better feel to it.

Performance: 8.5/10

I've gone with the 80 flex, mainly as I'm trying to get my sticks to flex more. Normally I use a 85 flex, but with me cutting the shaft down I wanted something that would still flex in my hands. I normally shoot snap shots, and the occasional slap shot. Pucks (both inline and ice) seem to rocket off the blade very quickly. I managed to roof a shot with a quick flick of the wrist, and didnt expect the puck to move that quickly.

The reason I gave it a lower rating was for slapshots. While wristers and snap shots were awesome, I felt that the stick torqued a little too much when I gave it a slap shot. Normally my hand positions for both snap and slap shots do not change (bottom hand does not move further down the shaft). However in order to do this review, I did try a couple of 'proper' slap shots, moving my bottom hand lower on the shaft. I felt the shaft really flex, but on a few occasions I felt the blade did torque more than what I was used to.

Puck handling: 9.5/10

One of the best sticks I've used, and I rarely have to really look down to locate the puck. I'm able to have a more 'heads up' stance and can put the puck when I want it to go. The blade does not feel pingy like I experienced on some RBK sticks, nor does it feel dull. Catching passes was easy as well, comparing this to previous sticks that I've used.

Durability: 10/10

After about 30 uses, I noticed a small paint chip near the heel of the blade, most likely due to an overzealous slash i received from an opponent. The other parts of the stick have held up very well, and if you excluded the paint chip the rest of the stick looks brand new. I have two of these sticks, and you couldnt tell them apart except for the paint chip.

Conclusion: Excellent stick... one of my favs so far. Ive received many compliments on the stick. Too bad the players at the rink will only use Bauer, Easton or Warrior (possibly thats what is mainly stocked and sold in Australia), but Combat has made pretty good products for many years (I used Ballistik in the past as well).