Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

giogolf

Blackstone X01 vs. New Wissota Sharpening System

Sorry to wake an old thread back up, but which did you end up buying? I've been looking at sharpeners, and was looking at the same two and also leaning toward the Wissota. For me, I like the Wissota as I am looking at it for personal use (my son and myself) and they include everything I'd need for kid and adult skates with multiple ROH. Also, they are local, and that's good (plus saves shipping). I've been watching for used ones, but they tend to sell pretty quick. With the seasons done for most kids, I am hoping there might be a few more available. But if not, the Wissota looks like the best deal for me.

Sorry for not following up...

I ended up with a wissota with the new 3d holder, and I absolutely love it. Supper strong motor, quality build, and as you mention it holds its value well. Super easy to use and the holder zeros your runners on the wheel easily.

After 2 practice runs old runners I sharpened my own skates with excellent results. I had a small mishap with the br100 edge checker being inconsistent so I ordered the at edge checker withe dots on eBay for $60 and I couldn't be happier.

I am now sharpening smooth and shiny hollows with perfectly straight edges. In my limited sharpening experienceI feel that putting a good accurate edge is 75% feel and 25% technique.

If you are good with your hands,have patience, and get a feel for a consistent pass you will be able to sharpen with the best of them.

Personally I am happy to liberate myself from sharpening at pro shops who can't deliver consistent results.

So I play in two adult leagues and usually skate about 3 to 4 times a week. I am looking to get a home sharpener either the X01 or the Wissota. I have not sharpened skate before so I am wondering how hard it might be to learn. Also, I don't use the FBV, but they do have it at one of the rinks where I play, so that might not be a factor yet...but with all the great reviews about how awesome FBV is, I want to try it.

I guess am looking for advice as to which machine to buy and what is the best way to learn how to sharpen.