Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beerleaguecaptain

Sher-Wood EK15 - dkmiller3356

Sher-Wood Rekker EK15

Flex: 85

Curve: PP88 Ryan II

Lie: 6.0

First off, special thanks to Chadd for allowing me to finish his LTR on the EK15. I had recently lost one of my special friends – a Miken ZL – and with Chadd unable to finish his review he kindly allowed me to finish up. Thank you also to JR and Sher-Wood who make this all possible! This is my first LTR and I am thrilled to participate.

Reviewer’s Background

Height: 5’ 10”

Weight: 230

Position: Wing/Defense

Playing experience: 13 years of beer league hockey, mostly at C and D level. I also have 10 years coaching experience including high school JV level and I have my USA Hockey level 4 card. I am on the ice 2 to 3 times a week and play on 2 teams. I have been using the Miken ZL for the last year and a half. Prior to that I used the Easton Stealth RS I and II and the Bauer Total One.

Initial Impressions

Coming home and seeing a box at the front door is always a thrill and I tore at the box to release my new prize. The first thoughts in my mind when I got it out of the box was “wow… that sucker is light!” Weighing in at a mere 385g it sure is. I though my ZL was light and really well balanced and that stick weights in at 435g. This thing is a feather!

I really like the graphics package. The stick is mostly solid black and understated which I like. Graphics are white with some minimal striping and the EK15 and SHER-WOOD labels prominent on the stick but by no means are they bold. The rear side of the stick has nice subtle pattern almost like a carbon weave. There is also black on black SHER-WOOD text on the top half. Overall I really like the look of the stick. The top half of the stick has a fair amount of gloss due to the grip and the bottom half is more of a matte finish.

IMG_2655_zps8be0d8ab.jpg

IMG_2656_zpsac943461.jpg

IMG_2657_zpsa4b040bc.jpg

The stick geometry is a little different from what I am used to with the ZL. The shaft feels a tad narrower – more like the Bauer APX. It does have a concave shape more like the ZL or Total One, which I like. It helps me to feel this corners in a more defined way. Speaking of feel, this stick game with a grip shaft. I haven’t used a grip in a couple of years but this grip is nice. It’s not too tacky so I think I will adjust pretty well.

One of the things I was interested in was inside of the shaft. Why? Well, Sher-Wood has spoken a lot about the stick being hand made and how they have achieved incredible weight savings by eliminating excess material on the inside as a result of the handmade finishing process. In the past when I have cut down a shaft you could see lots of extra material but not on the EK15. The only thing there is dust. The shaft feels as uniform and smooth on the inside as it does on the outside. Here is a pic:

IMG_2659_zps5cc0a4d5.jpg

The lie says 6.0 but I have found that there is very little in common from company to company and this is no exception. My ZL, RS and Total One are more upright than this. As a result when I cut down the shaft I left it a half-inch longer to adjust. We’ll see how it impacts things.

I assume the PP88 curve is supposed to be a Lindros clone. I usually use a P92 Sakic clone. I would say that this is somewhere in between. It is a tad more open at the toe than the Bauer 88s and less than a Sakic (Hall/Backstrom). It feels good to look at and I don’t anticipate any problem. In fact, it might help with slappers and backhanders. Here is a pic of then curve on the blade:

IMG_2658_zps60620e57.jpg

My next game is Sunday and I will update after that.

Played my first game with the EK15. Wow.. that thing is light! I spent a lot of extra time in warm ups getting used to the lie, curve and the extra half inch I had left on the stick. I wanted to be able to really get a sense of then performance of then stick and not be worried about those other things. Did some passing and stick handling drills and then started taking shots. Wrist shots started off weak but as I got more and more comfortable I found the puck starting to launch nicely off the blade. This stick seems to like it when I shoot more off the toe than the heel so I worked to make and adjustment in my release. Slappers were... well.... lets just say this may not be a slap shot stick! This will require more time though before I call it.

I could instantly get a sense of the puck and quickly came to love the way I could really feel the puck on my blade. I found myself with my head up skating even more than I do with my regular stick (Miken ZL). To me feel is perhaps one of the most important factors in liking a stick. For this game I was playing defense and skating with, and moving the puck confidently was really essential. Being able to do that with a new stick, with a different curve and lie, was really impressive.

Receiving and delivering passes, as expected with the feel of this stick, were really nice. Passes stayed nice and flat and accurate. The puck settles nicely on the blade receiving passes as well.

I had several shooting opportunities during the game. Some good wrist shots and shots sailed nicely with that nice flat BB like trajectory. Goalie made the saves but they were quality shots. The stick sure does have some pop there. Stepped in to a few slappers too but in this area I did not see the results I would have liked. I had a lot of trouble getting behind the puck and I couldn't get it off the ice. I really think this had more to do with length and lie than anything else. Again - I need more time to settle in in that part.

In some other reviews people felt the stick was pingy. I didn't get that feel. While the blade doesn't have the most touch I have ever felt, the weight of the stick seems to allow for greater transmission of puck feel.

I'd say overall the stick is on its way to having a place in the rotation if I can get used to the lie.

More to follow.

Played my second game with the EK15 Wednesday night. Before the game I removed the extra half inch that I had left on the shaft in compensation for the different lie angle. My thinking this time was that less things different meant less things to adjust to.

Warm ups felt better than the last game and stick handling was comfortable. I again, however, had a difficult time shooting either wristers or slappers. Its not the stick though... its the lie that I am having trouble getting used to and not the stick. When I get behind then puck it launches nice bee bees but I just can't seem to get comfy. Slappers were better than the last one but not great. Having a hard time elevating.

One of my friends took some time with it in warm ups. The guy is a good player and when he started shooting he was absolutely ripping it! He loved the weight and explosiveness and is going to see if they make his curve. Count that as an EK15 customer! As for me the game went well. I didn't have too many chances to shoot but stick handling and feedback from the puck was excellent. I love the way the stick feels in my hand.

Durability looks good. Got hacked a few times and not really showing wear. Flex is right on the money as far as I'm concerned. Blade stiffness is nice too. This is a very, very nice stick.

Played my third game with the EX15 last night. My opinion remains the same - great stick, great feel but the lie just does not suit me. Moved back to my last Miken midway through the 3rd period and though I love my Miken I truly wish I could combine the lie of the Miken with the weight and feel of the EK15.