Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Axxion89

Skate Sharpener Question

So this weekend I was able to find & buy an old Blademaster 3 head sharpener to dive into sharpening my own skates like a pro (or so I hope). I think I have everything under control but I do have some questions;

1- The best holder I have is an old SH2000 GUSPRO / Blademaster holder that has the cam levers. Got that setup & it seems to be centered. I need to get an edge checker to see level but to my untrained eye it might be slightly off (using a coin). Assuming it is off level, how do I fix this without having a tilt adjustment on the holder?

2- I have a new 8MXR disc (Blue) & I will buy a new Red one since I have 2 heads. It looks like one of the diamonds still has life left but the other is shot, how do you tell when you need a new one?

3- As far as an edge checker, any recommendations for a a decent one for a reasonable price, new or used doesn't matter

Thanks in advance!

1.  too many people play around with the tilt adjustment unnecessarily.  just using the cam levers is fine.  for example, if you are sharpening a left skate with the toes pointed to the left.  after doing 3-4 passes, if the inside edge is high, that means the skate is sitting too high in relation to the wheel and you will need to lower it.  with the cam lever holders you'll need to guess and check when adjusting.  the holders with the style are calibrated to work with the edge checkers.

2.  I like to change my diamonds every 2 wheels.  when a diamond is worn, you'll typically get a lot of "fish scaling" on your blade after just a couple passes on a freshly dressed wheel.  also, if there are any gouges or chunks taken out of the diamond I'd replace it.

3.  the blademaster br100 has been my go to edge checker.  just make sure you protect the magnetic angle with some tape where it contacts the skate blade.  not doing so will gouge the area and will give inaccurate readings.

Thanks Mickz, I'm going to order 2 new Diamonds since this machine is pretty old & I don't know if the guy ever even changed it. The diamond still seems to be doing well though since there is no scaling on the blade. 

My holder doesn't have a tilt adjust so I'm good there & once I get a level (BR100 may be what I get, can't find anything cheaper really) I can dial it in further