Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northshoremb

What flex stick and kickpoint non slap league

These last two years have been a shooting struggle for me after a 16 year absence prior to that. Back when i use to play it was all wood or aluminum 2 piece no 1 piece composite. Needless to say im having hard time adjusting to the 1 piece sticks especially flex wise seeing aseagues now are no slapshot. Im a defence and like my sticks nose high and im 6'1" and 235# of ice no skates. Sticks now i use a plug for length and dont know if i should be using 100 or 87 flex with my weight and length with only wristshots allowed. I found last year all my shots would mostly go left of where I aimed as well as lots of passes using 87 flex. To me i would think a $100 composite now a days has to be better then a $50 top grade wooden stick from the 90's no?

I took a lot of time off too. Luckily I was able to try a few different sticks and found I really like the Sher-Wood one piece composites. That's not shocking as I used their blades in my old two piece days. Both of mine are the REKKER EK15 which are low kick point sticks. I would say those are better for non slap shots. I use an 85 flex. But I like to whip my wrist shots. I also feel you get what you pay for... For the most part. My $200 Sher-Wood sticks are better than the $60 one I originally bought.

Thats what i meant is a cheap ass composite should be better then any of the top wooden sticks from 80-90's correct. with all the new material and technology even a $60 composite has to be more accurate and better performance then wood.

Try flexing a 77 or 75 flex in store and see if it feels too whippy. If you're going to add an extension, keep that in mind as well (that you'll be making it even whippier). Also note that some manufacturers have stiffer shafts/blades, while others tend to play more soft. Stick to mid-range sticks and I think you'll be happy (the lower you go in range, the heavier they tend to be in weight... so if you like a heavier stick, stay toward the low-end of the mid-range sticks).

As for your wrist shots hooking to the left, this could be a simple technique adjustment or some hand-eye coordination practice. Most of the time, it's a combination both, where my students will SWEEP the puck at an arc like so: ) or if they're a lefty: (

and they'll have their eyes to the ground.

Whereas, as a beginner (to keep it simple), eyes up at the target and move the puck back, then go straight forward through the puck with the toe of blade pointing at the target at the end of the stroke: |

As you get better, you can pull off the toe and place it on the heel for an even harder shot (loading up the stick), but for now simple north-south movement will net you some good results in terms of accuracy and some decent power.