Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bunnyman666

Evolution of the combo

As mentioned many times here, I am a member of the CWD club (Combo Wearing Dorks). Some say that they will never return to the pros, but the combo still lives on in beer league.  There has been a fair bit of evolution in combos from the early days of Tretiak using an HM30 hard-mounted on a Jofa VM helmet, Smith wearing an HM30 on everything from the Koho to many models of Jofa and a CCM HT2, and finally to the SK2000 becoming the default combo helmet.

I want to discuss how Billy Smith wore his combo- in particular the forward, hard mounting of the HM30 onto the helmet and using a chin strap to keep the helmet from shifting. This was back in the days of the stand up goalie, as I think he would have maybe changed his mind on how he wore his helmet if he butterflied. Interestingly enough, he wore a dangler (the dangler many of you enjoy on your masque is a DIRECT descendant of the early ones designed for the combo) later on. 

But it gives me pause to think about this- after having taken a few shots to my cage from an all-too apologetic shooter, my football helmet chin cup got me in the chops a couple of times. Not too painful, no blood or lost teeth happened; however, it still made me think. Maybe there IS something to the original chin pad of the HM30. Or, maybe a soft foam chin cup should be subbed. Or-I could go Billy Smith style with the helmet secured on my chin and wear a forward, hard-mounted HM30-style cage. (yep- I did wander off, but got back to Billy)

For those of you still rocking the combo: what do you use for your chin? Is your cage hard-mounted or hinging? Have you ever had a scary moment with your chin protection? Have you ever had your helmet knocked off whilst wearing the chin pad?

For those of you who don't wear a combo: I may end up abandoning the combo one of these days, especially if I have another scary moment. Or, I may get a repro big Jofa cage that extends over the top of the helmet.

I only play goalie on a fill in basis, but wear an SK2000 and HM30 with a chin cup. I've only take a couple to the cage and only one that I would consider hard, and had no issue. I figure if I take a slapper to the face and it is merely "uncomfortable" I'm doing pretty good.

More to your point, I could perhaps see slight advantage to the original chin pad, though it probably doesn't make much difference. Hasek wore a chin cup for years, so it can't be too bad. (Edit: Clarification: He wore a chin cup and I don't recall him ever getting injured from his mask. Guys wore no mask for years, so not the best test... but they did get injured)

@Davideo First off- KILLER avatar.

I may switch to a soft chin cup, as the football helmet chin cup is rigid plastic. 

I never heard about Billy Smith getting injured from his choice in headgear, nor Hasek. Hasek wore a soft chin cup. I still remember when Al MacInnis broke Mike Liut's iconic original Harrison and Liut wore that Jofa combo for a season or two, then went with a Harrison combo.

Since I am a munchkin goalie (under 6' tall), the butterfly is going to get me a few shots to the cage and or lid. I would rather take one to the lid over the cage. Usually, the ones to the cage when standing up are from guys who can't control their shots. But the ones whilst in the butterfly are from guys trying to go top shelf.

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject.

@Davideo You probably missed it 'cos I wasn't all that clear. 

I may switch cages on my helmets today, as one has the soft chin cup. I like how secure my helmet feels with the hard chin cup, but it could cause tooth loss! 

Shawn Schroeder makes a supplemental protection for an HM30 style cage that gives protection to the jawline. It is reminiscent of the old Jofa goalie cage that was part cage, part masque, except executed nicer. But it also requires that the cage is not hard-mounted, which is fine.

I have a funny feeling that the combo could end up returning to the NHL one day. Coloured pads have returned, after all! All it will take is someone playing a different style that needs uninterrupted, 360 degree protection on the head.