Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badger_14

More responsibility than anticipated - looking for advice & support

So I've coached Learn to Play & Intramural (three years, last year I didn't because of my new job with the ambulance and some injuries getting in the way) with the local town program, and I love it.  I'm sure travel is fun, but LTP is the first introduction to hockey for a lot of kids and I love being a part of it.  I wasn't able to make the first general meeting of the season, but I emailed the president saying I couldn't attend but I'd still like to volunteer.  I'm having surgery in the fall so coaching is out (banned from anything fun for six weeks) but a few emails later I managed to agree to be Director of Learn to Play. 

Now, supposedly, this is not a super complex position.  I keep the lines of communication open for parents and volunteers, make an effort to be present at the rink as much as possible, take care of any conflicts, facilitate communication between coaches and our skills vendor.  All concepts I'm familiar with from various jobs.  And of course I'm familiar with the program and how it works.  I've taken on some partially greater responsibility - a couple of years ago, because the director could only be there for the first hour, I was default coordinator for the second hour- but this is a big responsibility and I'm honestly nervous about it.  I've got responsibility toward the kids, and the parents, and the board.  I feel a bit like I have to prove myself.  (the previous president of the org was not unsubtle about looking down on me, although the current president is a person I've coached with who knows me).  And I know that because of attrition to for-profit programs (this is a problem for all the town programs), I really have to make this something families want to come to and feel welcome at. 

Does anyone have any good advice?  War stories?  Book recommendations?  Things I should be prepared for?  How can I work on making this a fun, safe, welcoming environment for everyone?