Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cgin6

Instructions for removing chassis

Just wondering how easily this is done. With no consideration for saving the boot, how easy is it to drill out (?) the rivets and remove an inline chassis at home?

C

Its fairly easy to do if you have the right tools. On the rivets with out the washers all you have to do is use a punch and a hammer. From the inside of the boot you stick the punch in the rivets and hammer them out. On the rivets with washers i used a dremal to cut off the washers and then i used the punch and the hammer. I did this at home on my g-80's and it only took about half and hour. Just a word of advice use some type of eye protection when useing the dremal. My dad got some metal shaving in his eye and it messed it up for a couple weeks. Hope this helps.

I hear it's quite hard work and personally would just rather pay the $20 dollars for someone at my lhs to remove the chassis correctly.

For me it was easy. First though you need to be hands on. I took a powerful drill with a drill bit that was a little smaller then the rivets. I just drilled them out. I did this when I was helping out with taking frames of old skates at my local rink. I got 6 frames off in a hour. But there was no meaning for the boot. But the other guys way probably would be easier and little risk of screwing something up.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Like i said before, Im not really interested in saving the boot so I suppose I can afford to be a bit reckless getting the chassis off. Time to get my hands dirty.