Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sichy

How Wide Is Wide (EE)?

I'm curious as to what is considered a wide foot? I bought inline skates (Bauer Mega 20-70) last year and my skates fit perfectly. I would wear these skates and afterwards playing for 2-3 hours, my feet would feel perfectly fine. However, this year, after lacing them up for 20 minutes or so, the sides of my feet began to hurt, so I took my skates off. A week later, I played 2-3 hours in the skates through the pain. Afterwards, when I unlaced the skates, I was barely able to walk and my feet ended up being swollen for 2-3 days. Anyways, I can't seem to figure out what's the problem. I haven't exactly put on that much weight since last year, maybe 5-6 lbs. I'm average built. I know it isn't a problem with my feet growing in length, since my feet haven't grown in years. My only guess is that my feet got wider? Anyways, I might be in the market for new skates if I can't discover what is wrong with my Bauer inliners. So, I guess my question is how wide is wide (ee)? To what extend would someone have to get wide skates. I've always thought my feet to be pretty narrow and I've always gotten regular size skates. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The basic skate widths. d is the regular, E is wide and EE is extra wide. it sounds like you need to try an E or a EE. you might want to try a nike skate. they fit wider than other brands. they are really comfy. if not, i would go to a good LHS and try some different skates on in diffferent widths.

good luck

Each manufacturer has slightly different sizings.

I've had guys recently purchase E-width skates who claimed they generally used EE-width. I didn't think the skates would fit, but each guy said they fit perfectly, so obviously our skates run wider than some other brands. Or, conversely, some manufacturers' skates run narrower than other brands.

Has your fit in the shoes you wear regularly changed? I'd be afraid to jump into a wide skate right off the bat. If you arches have changed, dropped maybe, your foot will spread out somewhat. You can try to add more support to your skates by changing the stock footbed for a better one. Superfeet and Shockdoctor both make low profile footbeds that should fit into your skates. If you go to a wide skate you might not be able to get enough support because the skate might also grow in the ankle area as well. My first thought is too add support to your old skates first, before buying a new pair of skates.

Thanks for all your suggestions. mbcbags, I think I might try what you have suggested with a new footbed. You might have something with the notion of my arches flattening out. While, I get a new footbed for my skates, I think I might get one for a pair of my shoes, since I think they might be responsible for flattening out my foot abit.

If you're going to put them in you regular shoes go with the Superfeet. They make a green and a blue version. The green is for shoes/boots with removable footbeds, 85% of whats out there. Take out the old footbed, replace it with the Superfeet footbed. The blue is for shoes/boots without removable footbeds, doc martins,etc... Just put in the new footbeds. Most outdoor retailers offer the Superfeet brand. They usually have testers available so that you can try them out in the store before buying. Usually about $25-$30. Some shops even offer custom moldable versions for about $80-$90. If you have an REI where you live, just ask someone in their footwear dept. about them. I don't work for Superfeet, but I'm a trained bootfitter and have dealt with a lot of fit issues. The Superfeet will add a ton of support to any shoe you put it in. Some people feel a little pressure where their arch meets their heel. That's ok, you're feet just aren't used to being supported there. It usually goes away after a couple of hours. Also beware of the cheaper inserts, Spenco or Dr. Schoals (sp?) They mostly just offer extra cushion that will flatten out in a few weeks. You'll save money at first, but after buying four or five pair it'll cost you more. The Superfeet have a plastic arch and heel support the should last a lot longer. I've had a pair going on three years now. Also ask about the lower profile version. I think that they are the black ones. They've been made so that they will fit into a skate or cycling shoe without taking up much space. Sorry about the long message, but a proper fit is important no matter what you're wearing. Good luck.

If you're going to put them in you regular shoes go with the Superfeet. They make a green and a blue version. The green is for shoes/boots with removable footbeds, 85% of whats out there. Take out the old footbed, replace it with the Superfeet footbed. The blue is for shoes/boots without removable footbeds, doc martins,etc... Just put in the new footbeds. Most outdoor retailers offer the Superfeet brand. They usually have testers available so that you can try them out in the store before buying. Usually about $25-$30. Some shops even offer custom moldable versions for about $80-$90. If you have an REI where you live, just ask someone in their footwear dept. about them. I don't work for Superfeet, but I'm a trained bootfitter and have dealt with a lot of fit issues. The Superfeet will add a ton of support to any shoe you put it in. Some people feel a little pressure where their arch meets their heel. That's ok, you're feet just aren't used to being supported there. It usually goes away after a couple of hours. Also beware of the cheaper inserts, Spenco or Dr. Schoals (sp?) They mostly just offer extra cushion that will flatten out in a few weeks. You'll save money at first, but after buying four or five pair it'll cost you more. The Superfeet have a plastic arch and heel support the should last a lot longer. I've had a pair going on three years now. Also ask about the lower profile version. I think that they are the black ones. They've been made so that they will fit into a skate or cycling shoe without taking up much space. Sorry about the long message, but a proper fit is important no matter what you're wearing. Good luck.

Thanks alot dude. I'll look around for Superfeet and the Shockdoctor. It seems like the Shockdoctor insoles are more made for sports though.