Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chadd

Salming PG1

Salming PG1

Gloves were donated for review.

Fit- Very large, loose fitting glove. Fingers are somewhat tight but the cuff is large enough to smuggle in immigrant families. I'm normally not a fan of large cuff gloves but these were very comfortable. If I liked the larger cuff, the score would be higher. 8.5/10

Protection- The large cuff is also fairly long, that allows for very good forearm protection. I didn't get slashed heavily at all while wearing the gloves but I didn't feel any hacks at all. I see no reason why these wouldn't be sufficient for anyone not in the NHL. 8.5/10

Weight- Most people are shocked when they pick up the gloves. Something that large has to weigh more in their minds, mine too. You really don't feel the gloves at all while skating with them, and isn't that the way it should be? 8.5/10

Durability- Having only used them for a month or so, I can't really comment on this. There is no visible wear on the palm at all or cuts in the material anywhere. INCOMPLETE

Intangibles- Nice grip on the palm eliminates the need for grip sticks, but it did make using the Salming TF1 stick a bit difficult as the TF1 has a very tacky grip to it. The baby blue lining isn't really my favorite but it does look good with the yellow on my demo pair. 8.5/10

Conclusion- Very nice glove, especially considering the $89 MSRP. I suggest taking the time to try and find them as they are worth trying on to see if you like them. I like them so much that I will probably start carrying them in my shop. Total score 8.5/10

Quick update:

Gloves are still holding up quite well. The only visible signs of wear are on the palms where the grip was applied. The grippy stuff is peeling off in some spots but that's not surprising given the amount of use.

Fit- Larger and more loose fitting than my Mission 5500's. I found the fingers to be much looser and the cuff is definitely bigger than any other glove I have used. This did allow for pretty good mobility and it doens't really feel as big as it looks when the glove is on. 8/10

Protection- I play in non-contact so the protection isn't an overly noticable issue. The cuff is large and would protect from anything that I would have come at me. 9/10

Weight- not very heavy at all. For the size of the glove they are actually very light. 9/10

Durability- Used them for about 2 months and outside of the palm becoming a bit rough before it gets worked out in the first 15 minutes of use I have no complaints. The pinky finger on the gloves came apart where the palm stitches to the liner but I had a seamstress stitch it up for me and they haven't had any problems since. 8/10

Intangibles- Decent palm, good protection, decent mobility make this a solid performing glove. 8/10

Conclusion- Overall I like the glove, its just a little loose for my preference. I got them from Salming USA on ebay for $50 and they are easily worth that price. Comparing to other gloves in that price range, they definitely hold their own. Total score 8/10

Salming PG1 (04-05 model)

Purchased from Jason

Fit - Larger than normal 13" gloves. My previous gloves were 13.5 Easton Ultra Lites and I can sometimes fit into 14" gloves depending on the brand. These Salmings are definitely the right size for me, with more cuff protection than I've ever had (I've used mostly Easton's my whole life). There is good feel in the palms despite the double-layer, and the fingers have better movement than most gloves out there. I initially had trouble moving my stick in and out of the lower hand (left) because of the natural bend in the index finger. There just wasn't enough room between the thumb and index for a seamless transition of the shaft in and out. About 20 minutes of breaking it in though this problem seemed to go away, and to assure myself, wedged a dek hockey ball in between the index and the thumb overnight to stretch it out further.

The longer cuff is wide and makes these feel a lot like Vapors, though they aren't as snug around the hand and fingers. They are also very light, moreso than my Easton's (despite offering significantly more protection).

Another nice bonus is how breathable these gloves are. While my Easton's are still drying from Saturday pickup, my Salming's are completely dry after back-to-back pickup games the last two days.

8/10

Protection - As mentioned by most, these gloves provide ample wrist protection. They also have what I would consider to be slash guards in between the seams on the knuckles and fingers. Overall, the material seems pretty sturdy to me. The only area I think may be vulnerable is in between the fingers, as the material here is rather thin.

8/10

Weight - Kind of already covered this but as mentioned, they're noticably lighter than my Easton's. I don't have any other gloves around to make side-by-side comparisons, but they seem comparable to an Eagle X70 and most GRAF gloves I've used.

8.5/10

Durability - To be determined. Because of the double-stitching, I don't plan on wearing out the palms anytime soon. The leather material in the fingers may be the first to go.

NA

Intangibles - Looks-wise these gloves are pretty appealing. Neutral black and a gunmetal-ish type color are predominant, along with a blueish that is almost turquoise. I've gotten a couple compliments already, first a few "what are those?" followed by "they look pretty cool." The coloring isn't for everyone though.. If you play for a team and your team colors are orange and red, for example, you may want to look at some of the other Salmings or get something custom from MIA or Eagle.

8/10 for PP.

Overall, I definitely like these gloves. I can neither find anything that stands out as being superb nor nothing that strikes me as a huge drawback to them. If I had been able to try them on before-hand I probably would have considered buying them at their original $90 price tag, so at $50 they are definitely a great deal.

8/10

I'd also like to note that Jason is definitely great to deal with. I don't know if I was just lucky or what but shipping was insanely quick.