Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

footface

wheel wear

Hey,

Been on my new skates for a few weeks now...prolly every other day, for an hour or two. Surface type...outdoor rink, smooth coated concrete. I am begining to notice wear on my wheels(expected). It seems to be a bit uneven. My left skate seems to be wearing down at more of an angle. Where as my right skate seems to be more of an even wear. I am stronger on my right side than my left..Havent quite got my edges back when turning sharply to the left..but hey, its been 10 years...ill get it back. :)

Anyway, about the wear down on the left side...should I rotate the wheels? Not just change the position on the skate, but flip the wheel so the inside edge is now the outside? I have Tour Max 700's...Labeda Pro Extreme Wheels...maybe I should get some harder wheels for the outdoor rink?

Thanks,

Tim

I used to flip the wheels around when I played on smooth concrete. The only problem is that, with the worn down edge now on the outside, (lets say you take your left front wheel, and turn it so the worn down edge on on the outside.) When you go to turn to the left, you might get some slipping.

Harder wheels would'nt hurt. Epuck.com has Rink Rat World Cup wheels for 3 bucks a wheel.

Notorious is bang on - you need to rotate your wheels frequently so that you try to wear them down evenly and not just move the uneven of grip around.

For smooth concrete the high performance (soft) wheels don't last very long at all, and a harder (higher durometer) would help with the wheels wearing down so fast.

As an alternative to Rink Rat World cup (which would suit the best) you could also try Redstar Triton (80 durometer - which I think was green) - I used them outside on concrete and although they did wear down, they did it slowly and more importantly they only slightly appeared to loose there grip from new.

Bear in mind also that your weight and skating style (heavy on stops, etc) will effect how quickly your wheels deteriorate even more so that on an indoor surface.