Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EndGame

Chunking wheels .. help me out here

I recently bought some Kuzak wheels that were on special at HockeyGiant. I've played three games with them, and they're already starting to split and chunk a little. I don't have a lot of experience with this. The only wheels I've ever had do this were wheels that I was using on a wood floor (I play on Sportcourt now) that were too soft for wood. I suspect these new wheels may be a bit soft for me, as I'm 6'3'' and 225 lbs. I know none of you have SEEN my wheels, so your advice may be vague, but given that there are little bits of wheel missing after three games, should I just give up on them? I've got a set of Kuzak (72mm) and Labeda (80mm) that are in pretty good shape and have a lot of life left in them. I've used a set exactly like them before and had no problem. Should I just put them back on and write off the problem Kuzak wheels? The last thing I want is to lose a large chunk of wheel in the middle of a game.

PS - Please don't suggest I buy Rink Rats or any high end wheels. I'm an intermediate level player and don't have that kind of money.

Crap ... you know what? Nevermind. I just remembered what the problem is. It's been a while since I've purchased a different set of wheels (remember, I've been using a similar setup with Kuzak and Labeda for a while) and I forgot that I need to buy harder wheels in the front. I can go with a 74a or so in the back, but I always buy a 76 or even 78 in the front, because they do chunk due to my weight.

Crap. Oh well. The back wheels are fine. I just need to find new ones for the front.

I'm having it bad too, i'm a heavier player and lets just say the 74A Milleniums that came with my Tour silvermax lasted one shift, playing on concrete. I also tried the cheap Kuzaks and am averaging 1 chunked wheel (front most 80mm) per game. I decided to lay down the cash for some high durometer rinkrats in the hope of better druability.

Epuck has some RR worldcup cosmetic blems, 84A, for $3/wheel. The only thing wrong with my set was the coloring was a little foggy or smokey, but they had no structural damage. I've been using them on concrete and just ordered 2 more sets. They are plenty hard enough for big guys (I'm 6'3" 240), and not too pricey.

Are you using the world cups on indoor smooth pavement or outdoors? Hows the grip? I noticed that Rink Rat came out with new Hotshots and Hornets recently with higher durometers.. not quite as high as the world cups

I use them outdoors on a pretty rough rink. They don't quite have as much grip as I would like, but the rink I play on tears up soft wheels in a matter of minutes. I like the speed I get with the harder wheel though. I don't like to spend much on wheels (especially for outdoor play), but the new RR line does look pretty nice with all those different durometer options.

just one word said it all "kuzak"... :unsure: those are some of the biggest hunks of crap i've seen.

Interestingly, I've been using Kuzaks on the front for a long time and love them. It has nothing to do with the brand. It's the hardness.

Thats not that much for a wheel and it will most likely last you 4x longer than most wheels that are cheaper than that....

4 times longer? Not a chance.

Thats not that much for a wheel and it will most likely last you 4x longer than most wheels that are cheaper than that....

4 times longer? Not a chance.

Thank you. I didn't believe it either.