Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sonsplayhockey

Stretching

OK,

I've gone through about 3 different stretching routines over the past year based on what I have hear or read. Recently I was told by a regionally well known power skating instructor that "DEEP" Stretching before playing a game is detrimental and can reduce performance of your muscles by up to 20%. She stated that ballistic warm ups are much better and to do the main stretching AFTER playing and while still warm. Amonst distance runners there is also the same conjecture that stretching before running does not reduce injury but stretching at other times like afterwards reduces injuries by increasing flexability. Some of what I read says that before performance is not the time to gain flexability but afterwards or on the days you don't perform or practice. She said that only moderate stretching (not stretching to the point of pulling or pain) is good for warming up. She also stated that many people over stretch in warm ups.

I'd like to hear from people who have either researched the subject or are knowledgeable.

Please,

I don't want to hear from the "this is what I do because I've always done it that way" folks.

I'm sorry, I may violate your rules. :huh: I'm not a physiologist but I was a trainer in an earlier life.

I think her information is fairly accurate but the explanation may be lacking. I agree that a comprehensive stretching routine separate from your endeavor will increase your overall flexibility; when I'm really being concientious, I'll do this after my workout at the gym.

However, no matter how diligent you are with a stretching routine, if you stretched on Tuesday and have a game on Wednesday night, you will be tighter on Wednesday night. To decrease the risk of injury, you need to loosen up. And here is where I think the explanation is lacking. I don't think you should do your stretching after playing or running; rather I think you need to do your stretching after warming up.

Your body heats up and lubricates itself with exercise, which is why a lot of guys hit the Lifecycle for five minutes before a workout. Under the same premise, I think you should do limbering type movements off ice, then skate a couple of warm-up laps to loosen, then finally stretch for a couple of minutes. Nothing major. You're just trying to lessen the risk of injury.

I honestly don't know the science of whether this reduces muscular performance by 20%, although I'm doubtful that it would. I believe this minor routine will increase your overall limberness without stressing the muscles.

Pre-game stretching is a controversial topic!

There was a study, finally accepted in 2004, that showed that pre-game stretching, after warming up, did not decrease the incidence of injury.

There was another, more controversial metastudy paper that purported that pre-game stretching, after warming up, had no effect or decreased the athletes' performance during the activity.

Center for Disease Control on stretching

Does pre-event stretching help or hinder performance?

I'm sorry, I may violate your rules. :rolleyes: I'm not a physiologist but I was a trainer in an earlier life.

I think her information is fairly accurate but the explanation may be lacking. I agree that a comprehensive stretching routine separate from your endeavor will increase your overall flexibility; when I'm really being concientious, I'll do this after my workout at the gym.

However, no matter how diligent you are with a stretching routine, if you stretched on Tuesday and have a game on Wednesday night, you will be tighter on Wednesday night. To decrease the risk of injury, you need to loosen up. And here is where I think the explanation is lacking. I don't think you should do your stretching after playing or running; rather I think you need to do your stretching after warming up.

Your body heats up and lubricates itself with exercise, which is why a lot of guys hit the Lifecycle for five minutes before a workout. Under the same premise, I think you should do limbering type movements off ice, then skate a couple of warm-up laps to loosen, then finally stretch for a couple of minutes. Nothing major. You're just trying to lessen the risk of injury.

I honestly don't know the science of whether this reduces muscular performance by 20%, although I'm doubtful that it would. I believe this minor routine will increase your overall limberness without stressing the muscles.

That's a good post

few people realize that you need to warm your muscles up before stretching and stretching cold muscles is worse much worse than not stretching at all.

I think it is very important to differentiate between two very different things: Static stretching and dynamic stretching.

Static stretching is where you see the players skate around the rink 2 times, sit on the ice, and start yanking at their limbs. Ouch! You are stretching those cold muscles and something might pop.

Dynamic stretching is more like a process. You get to the rink, and maybe park a little further away to haul in your gear. You run a little in the parking lot. You do a little skipping. Maybe you do 4 minutes of jump rope. Bound up the stadium stairs a few times. Then go out onto the ice and really skate around 4 or 5 times, trying to do a little lateral weaving, etc. By then you are warmed up enough to yank on the limbs a little if you want.