Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whip

Powerade/Gatorrade

I was just wondering cuz before i started playing hockey i just thought the sports drinks were another form of pop execpt they were trying to appeal to the athletes, now that i started playing i notice more and more ppl drink one before every game. Does this stuff help you play better? if so why is it so different from plain water or sodas?

It's more effective if consumed prior to playing. Nothing is going to make you play much better but it may help your energy regenerate a tiny bit quicker.

I say no, all they do for me is make my throat feel clogged and make me have to spit alot to get that crap outta my airway. Just my personal opinion, I'll take water!

maybe its just in my head, i feel that drinking powerade/gatorade helps me recover faster after a game. less cramps, muscle fatigue. how the salts in it affect the lactic acid metabolism cycle, i dont know.

It replenishes the fuel your body has put out. A steady diet of water and fruit juice should have similar results and be a fair bit cheaper. I prefer Water all the time over sports drinks, well not flavour wise, but I do opt for water because I find it doesn't weigh me down where as the sports drinks do.

So its not an energy source during the games? its for recovery after games?

My coach told us water is before and during the game, Gatorade after. Your body loses electrolytes and Gatorade replenishes them I believe.

So its not an energy source during the games? its for recovery after games?

My coach told us water is before and during the game, Gatorade after. Your body loses electrolytes and Gatorade replenishes them I believe.

You're correct...anything besides water an hour before a game will disrupt your energy output. If you have something high in sugar, you'll hit a high peak for a short period of time, then you'll be low for the rest of the game.