Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest hunter4

stickhandling

Guest hunter4

whats the best thing to use for stickhandling in your driveway other than a golf ball ? are there any good street hockey pucks out there that would give you the feel of a puck on ice, and by that i mean with very little friction on the ground so it slides easily like a puck does on ice........thanks

I've always liked Z-balls. Roller hockey pucks are great if you can find a smooth surface. I wouldn't mind trying the Z-puck either.

Goto your local hardware store and get a huge sheet of plexiglass, that should emulate the smoothness of the ice, then use a ice hockey puck to practise, so it is like ur stickhandling on ice.

You can also try one of thoe Smart Hockey balls. I bought one, and it works well outside. It mimics stick handling on ice pretty well, as far as weight and feel go. I'll just stick handle with it in my room sometimes as well, you can use it anywhere/

Get the smart ball. They work pretty good. Eazy i got one of the z-pucks but it's kind of flexible it's feels strange. I dont like it to much.

Actually the plexiglass idea is good too, but there is another material called UHMD polyurethane, which is even slipperier than Teflon, and you can buy it in sheets of 1/8" thickness...it's not super cheap, but this is the closest you will find to actual "synethetic" ice. This material is what is used for skating demonstrations at shows, where they put down a plastic surface, and actually skate on it with ice blades. They also use a silicon spray on it as well. A regular ice hockey puck will work.

PM me if any would like to create a group buy....I had an "in" with the manufacturer on some "seconds" which were not too expensive ..... I can check if they are still available. Thinking of maybe 8' x 10' sheets or similar.

Guest hunter4

who makes these "z-pucks"? easton ?or someone else?and where can you fin them at

am waiting for sizing and pricing on the UHMD...will publicize it when I get it. and yes they actually skate on the stuff wetted with a silicon spray. Its used to line rock boxes and chutes in the quarry industry ....tougher than T-1 steel by a factor of 4-6 X...

For any interested, a 4' x 5' piece of this UHMD material would cost about $25.00 per sheet. for the 3 mm stuff...in mixed colors (these are job ends), and the 4 mm material would be about $30.00 for a 4' x 5' piece.

The 3 mm material weighs about 10 lbs /sheet(4' x 5') and the 4 mm material weighs 13.5 lbs./per sheet.

Normally this stuff would sell for around $6.00/lb or higher

Remember this stuff is very slippery and could be used to even practice with an ice puck.

I can get 4 x 10' pieces too, but shipping becomes much more difficult.

For any interested, a 4' x 5' piece of this UHMD material would cost about $25.00 per sheet. for the 3 mm stuff...in mixed colors (these are job ends), and the 4 mm material would be about $30.00 for a 4' x 5' piece.

The 3 mm material weighs about 10 lbs /sheet(4' x 5') and the 4 mm material weighs 13.5 lbs./per sheet.

Normally this stuff would sell for around $6.00/lb or higher

Remember this stuff is very slippery and could be used to even practice with an ice puck.

I can get 4 x 10' pieces too, but shipping becomes much more difficult.

Where did you buy it. Is it a special store or what. I'm pretty damn interest with this product...

I am buying direct from the manufacturer...it is not readily available in stores. This stuff is sold in large quantities normally...like 20 sheets of 4' x 10' or 5' x 10' x .5" at a time. These heavy sheets sell for about $250 - $300 USD each normally, and are used to replace hardened steel alloys like T-1 or Hardox 400 for better wear as well as having an extremely low c.f.(coefficient of friction). Typically used to line coal bins, sand and stone bins, truck bodies etc. so it will not wear and material will not adhere to it.

Each sheet is individually compression molded, and made of ultra high molecular weight polyethelene..hence the name "UHMD". I have posted more in detail in the "sell" forum as well.

Unfortuneately I checked shipping costs for these boards on UPS....3 mm weighs 10 lbs, but is 48" x 60" x .118"..cost to ship via UPS is $110.00 to go 300 miles.... :( ..will check "Yellow Freight", but that was a bit out of line I thought..due to oversize dimensions. If the shipping costs are prohibitive even on Yellow Freight, I will have to retract the offer. Not that many replies anyway.

Guest hunter4

i ordered a zpuck but they sent me an email that said they had discontinued them so i think i am going to buy a smart ball, those lok really nice ....thanks for all the info guys, those sheets sound really good too but a bit pricy lol.

Guest Datsyuk*13

They have pucks just like the Z-Pucks at your local handy Canadian Tire.

check out the "Swedish Stick Handling Balls", my buddy Sean Skinner the Stickhandling Guru swears by them for developing qucik hand reflex. available from epuck and other online sites

i got this stuff at peranis for like 25.00 and it felt like ice you can use your good sticks and a ice hockey puck on plus you can shoot of it. I also have a smart ball and it works very good.

You can get a type of stickhandling ball that feels like a puck at any sportswap for like 15 bucks.(slides like a puck and weight is similar