Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quasi

Developing edges

Can anyone help me with drills to develop my inside left skate edge? I'm prefectly fine on the other three, but I just can't stop and turn as well on the inside left and it's holding me back. I think it has to do with me not putting enough weight on that leg, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the help.

As long as you can, force yourself to stop on your weak side until you learned how to.

For turning, practice going around a circle with one leg only tryng to follow the red line, it's an exercise for learning the outside edge but i think it will work also for the inside if you do it with the opposite leg.

And again try to use your weak foot, edge, stopping side, turning side... etc. a lot; practice it is the only way to learn, expecially ,as you said, if you already know how to do it.

Edited due to poor english...

ski.

Get into stride, coast on flats, then slolam back and forth. 2 feet on ice at all times. Try to actually move forwards during the back and forth. That evens out the edges.

Also, try standing still and put weight on right foot, then push left leg out to shave ice. Take a stride then push left foot out to shave ice. Like said, spend an entire public session doing this. I used to be pretty even in my hockey stop and lately I've been cheating and only turning left. I've had to get back into it and force me to stop and turn right once and a while in my kids practices.

do "crescents" with each skate using your inside edges.

your skate will follow this sort of path

(

__)

(

__)

(

sorry about the horizontal lines, the spaces won't show up otherwise

there are a lot of edge work drills out there. here are two simple ones

1. go from one end of the ice to the other making a half turn on one foot. The push onto the other foot and turn back the other way. You will always be on one foot and will be making forward 'c' cuts down the ice. this works your inside edges.

2. same exact drill except you are going to try to make cross-overs all the way down the ice.

The key to these drills, which is not stressed by many coaches is that you want to focus on every push you make. On the inside edge drill you have one push when you transition from one foot to the other. Focus on making that push as strong as you can. On the outside edge drill, you have two pushes, the push from your outside foot as you bring it over and the push from your inside leg which will be pushing out from under your body. again focus on making each push as strong as possible.

also if you are going down the ice, hold each edge until your chest is facing the side boards. This makes you hold you edge longer and develop better balance.

you can do both drills backwards as well to work on your backward edges as well.

once you progress then try skating from one end of the ice to the other on one foot, using little 'c' cuts with both your inside edge and outside edge.

after that would be three turns, which is very difficult for most skaters.

hope this helps a little. I do a LOT of edge work with every team i coach and might have some videos on a lot of edge work drills that i could send to you... just pm me

three turn are three pushes on one foot, both forward and backward, just like the one foot drill i mentioned above, so you would be on your right foot, inside edge-outside edge-inside edge, then pivot to backwards and again inside/outside/inside, then pivot back to forwards and continue down the ice all on one foot.

Confidence! I used to have the same problem. If u feel Confident about what you are doing then its only a matter of time before it starts to feel natural. You have to keep working at it tho.