Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollerhockeymavin

ccm pf 10's and 8's rbk 8's

I went from Maverick's to the PF8's. The PF8's are lighter, more comfy depending on foot shape (shouldn't be an issue but I didn't bake them). They come with great wheels in teh RR hornets, and the softer tongue is great. I haven't had teh same issue witht eh PF8's tat I did witht he Maverick's that the sole began to tear away from the toe of the boot after about 8 months, and I've put more time into the PF8's with harder skating with no problem.

My captain just switched and loves them. He had no idea about the RR that came on them and was looking to ditch them until he was educated. Great choice for a skate from what I have seen of those wearing them at the rink

My captain just switched and loves them. He had no idea about the RR that came on them and was looking to ditch them until he was educated. Great choice for a skate from what I have seen of those wearing them at the rink

Did you have something to do with that education? Lol.

i use the pf 10's myself and i must say they are the best skates last year and a top of the line pickup for this year as well. super light, great wheels, stiff boot and high quality boot... the only thing i would change about them is the stock bearings.

I have had my PF8's for a little over a year now, I have been pleased so far. The boot is nice and stiff, and it has held up well so far. I had some fitting issues, but once I got them baked they turned out to be very comfortable. The lace-lock is a nice feature too. The skates are light, maybe not as light as the newer Mission skates, but they aren't clunkers either. (I hear the PF10's are way lighter though) Only problem I had with the skates were the ABEC 7's that come with them. They just didn't do the trick for me, so I swapped them for some swiss bearings, other then that, no problems.

I got the PF10s in the summer. I have been on the 01 roller 1052s forever. The PF10s were wickedly light, very well built, and pretty. The lacelock thingy is brilliant. But.....I could not stand the Tri-Di set up of 72-76-76-80. Maybe I was impatient but I sold them to a friend after 1 game (at a great loss but he needed them worse than I did.)

So anyway, yeah, they're super nice as long as you can get used to that wheel set-up. I couldn't. I am too used to classic HILOs so I ordered some Pro Tacks to mount on RED STAR Alloy frames. We'll see how that works out.

-MIKAEL

i couldn't tell the difference between the tri-di and my old high low myself. what didn't you like about it?

yes the bearings were crap and that is the one thing i wish they changed but i would still rather take some crappy bearings then wheels that fall apart or flat out suck... :lol:

I went from Maverick's to the PF8's. The PF8's are lighter, more comfy depending on foot shape (shouldn't be an issue but I didn't bake them). They come with great wheels in teh RR hornets, and the softer tongue is great. I haven't had teh same issue witht eh PF8's tat I did witht he Maverick's that the sole began to tear away from the toe of the boot after about 8 months, and I've put more time into the PF8's with harder skating with no problem.

thanks for the feedback

I got the PF10s in the summer. I have been on the 01 roller 1052s forever. The PF10s were wickedly light, very well built, and pretty. The lacelock thingy is brilliant. But.....I could not stand the Tri-Di set up of 72-76-76-80. Maybe I was impatient but I sold them to a friend after 1 game (at a great loss but he needed them worse than I did.)

So anyway, yeah, they're super nice as long as you can get used to that wheel set-up. I couldn't. I am too used to classic HILOs so I ordered some Pro Tacks to mount on RED STAR Alloy frames. We'll see how that works out.

-MIKAEL

thanks.

I recently picked up the 8K pumps and I gotta say they're awesome. Best all around fitting skate I've used. The pump is sweet creating a solid fit around the ankle. They're giving me a little pain in the break in process but that's because I tied them way too tight. Unlike my 8Ks for ice, I didn't get them baked. They're rather light and I like the RR MB816s. As for the Hi-Lo thing, I can't notice the difference between them and the Tri-Di.

It's difficult to say what I didn't like about the setup. I remember feeling like I couldn't "get up on my toes" and sprint forward. Maybe it just didn't suit my skating style. I wasn't as confident digging in and turning hard, either. I didn't think I got as much grip from tail end of the skates. I guess I kinda felt like the two middle wheels weren't as useful - I couldn't get on the even platform of the front two when accelerating and I felt I was only getting the grip of the big back wheel when turning.

That said, it's just my analysis and it could be all in my head. I think I was a skeptic from the start seeing as how the recent "innovations" in wheel setup (Tri-Di, Hummer, One-Up) were actually forced changes to "cope" with the HiLo patent situation.

-MIKAEL

-MIKAEL

What did you not like about the set up on the pf10's vs. the classic hi-low setup. By your comment I am assuming you can not to a classic hi-low set on the pf10's- 72/80. they say the mag. frame is a lot lighter than the extruded al. frame. is that true. thanks for the feedback..

My post above explains what I didn't like about the 72-76-76-80 Tri-Di setup on the PF10s vs. a 72-72-80-80 HiLo frame.

They were very light, though - very noticably lighter than my 1052s even though that old Prolite 3 Step frame is a magnesium alloy, too. Most of the weight savings is in the boot with PF10s. The Vector boot that all the CCM inline skates are now based on is lighter than any traditional Tacks boot. I don't think the frames are that much lighter than the other top-end ones out there because Mission's best are now magnesium alloy, too, and there seems to be even less to those (as far as mass.) But yeah, I'm sure they are lighter than the 6000 and 7000 aluminum ones on lower models.

And if I am understanding you correctly, you asked if you could setup the PF10s with 72-72-80-80....? No, you can't. 72-76-76-80 is the only wheel setup that will fit the Tri-Di frame. You'd have to replace the frames with Gear, Mission, or RedStar HiLo frames but you'd be buying at least 4 new wheels and after paying for the mounting, your $350 skates are going to be close to $500 skates and you're going to have $40-worth of useless 76mm Blue Flames. Nor will they be as pretty as stock. So if you like the boot but want HiLo frames, I'd say buy some Vector ice skates and mount them. They are starting to get marked down a lot and the result would still be a really light skate.

That's all quite complicated, though. Seems like plenty of others have not had the issues I did switching to the Tri-Di frames and it really is a nicely built skate so if that's the one you want, go for it.

My post above explains what I didn't like about the 72-76-76-80 Tri-Di setup on the PF10s vs. a 72-72-80-80 HiLo frame.

They were very light, though - very noticably lighter than my 1052s even though that old Prolite 3 Step frame is a magnesium alloy, too. Most of the weight savings is in the boot with PF10s. The Vector boot that all the CCM inline skates are now based on is lighter than any traditional Tacks boot. I don't think the frames are that much lighter than the other top-end ones out there because Mission's best are now magnesium alloy, too, and there seems to be even less to those (as far as mass.) But yeah, I'm sure they are lighter than the 6000 and 7000 aluminum ones on lower models.

And if I am understanding you correctly, you asked if you could setup the PF10s with 72-72-80-80....? No, you can't. 72-76-76-80 is the only wheel setup that will fit the Tri-Di frame. You'd have to replace the frames with Gear, Mission, or RedStar HiLo frames but you'd be buying at least 4 new wheels and after paying for the mounting, your $350 skates are going to be close to $500 skates and you're going to have $40-worth of useless 76mm Blue Flames. Nor will they be as pretty as stock. So if you like the boot but want HiLo frames, I'd say buy some Vector ice skates and mount them. They are starting to get marked down a lot and the result would still be a really light skate.

That's all quite complicated, though. Seems like plenty of others have not had the issues I did switching to the Tri-Di frames and it really is a nicely built skate so if that's the one you want, go for it.

great feedback-thanks. I think I am going to try the Tri-Di setup. I am sure it will be weird for a while since I have been playing with hi-low's for a lot of years. I play with a lot of guys(big tour skate area) that made the transition from the hi-low setup to the straight frame-all 80's (I think) w/o to much of a problem.

It's difficult to say what I didn't like about the setup. I remember feeling like I couldn't "get up on my toes" and sprint forward......

At first, I also felt that way with the Tri-Di setup. It does take a few skates to get used to. But it's not that bad.