Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WildFan

Define "No-Check"

In no-check leagues, what is called "checking" and what is not?

Are defensemen allowed to "put a body on" a forward in front of the net?

If you are backchecking, and you have an angle on a player skating along the boards, are you allowed to go after the puck....and glide into him in the process?

Defending against an on-rushing player, carrying the puck, are you allowed to play the body...........at least in the sense that you get in front of him enough that he cannot skate around you?

I'm just looking for a clear-cut definition, I guess. I think there is some ambiguity.

In general what you said is okay. Depends a lot on the refs obviously. During summers I play in a non check inline league and you can basically pin opponents on the boards, get in their way on a one-on-one (in a sense that they might fall over you) etc.... basically it just has to look like you are going for the puck. If it´s obvious that you play for a hit or just to take a guy out without a puck near it´s a penalty. That´s just the league I play in but I guess that´s the sense of non-check.

From what I've seen and played, It pretty much just means no big hits......playing the body is fine.......laying someone out, not fine

I think there is some ambiguity, because you'll see different things get called or not called, depending on the refs. I've done some "playing the body" that I was sure was going to get called and didn't, and I and teammates of barely/incidentally tapped someone with shoulder or what have you and gotten called for checking or interference.

In my mind, I will go out there with the mindset that I can use my body, bt just can't stick a shoulder or hip on someone.

on our roller rink

if u hit him in the boards intentionally 5 min automatic

as for open ice

if ur going for the puck its usually allowed to play the body but u just gotta feel out the ref

we have a guy on our team that can make it look like hes going the puck but nails the foward hardest hits ive seen in roller come from that guy

most of the time, it depends on the refs. You have to learn how the different refs call the games. You could also talk to the refs before the game and find out what they are going to call.

No big hits. That's easy.

Everything else is typically whatever the ref thinks was a check. Take it easy the first 10 minutes of a game and watch what the refs do and don't call. Let that be your guide for that game only.

Think of it like basketball. You can be very physical without them calling a foul on you. Just learn where the line is and try not to cross it.

It's usually no body checking. You can't really defend effectively without physically touching the other player.

I remember my first season playing beginner's hockey and I was playing D as a forward tried to go wide on me as we crossed the blue line. I put my free hand on his chest and jacked him right into the boards.

The ref blew the whistle and as I was skating to the penalty box he said to me, "Right play... wrong league."

I'm still playing in non-contact leagues but that exact same play doesn't get me called in these higher tiers.

Angling in no checking hockey is great. "Rubbing out" along the boards is appacetable usually. Definately no open ice checks. Penalties are at the refs discretion, so calls will vary ref by ref.

From what I've seen and played, It pretty much just means no big hits......playing the body is fine.......laying someone out, not fine

That's how I think of it.

In the inline leauge I play in, basicly it means, no monster hits. You can play the body and as long as you keep your hands down and play the puck, if you stand a guy up they generally won't call it, as long as you went for the puck initially.