Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teamriot38

Kids Games

At our local rink they're having a meet and greet with the local AHL team and a hockey 101 skate for kids. I'm talking like midget/pee wee ages and many of them have never played before. I live in nebraska so there's not many kids that play. I've been assigned to think up some fun games for the kids to play while they're out on the ice. Any suggestions. I'm thinking along the lines of half court shooting, relays, etc. That sort of thing. I'm just stumped. :unsure:

1. Freeze tag.

2. Have them play hockey with beach balls instead of pucks.

3. Frosty the snowman - see who can slide the farthest and come up with the most snow on them.

They are fairly old at that age, so play some tag games, hockey baseball, mini-games.

Tag -> start with 3 people who are "it". All the players are at one end, except the ones who are "it". Blow the whistle, the players who aren't "it" try to get through the bluelines without being tagged. If they are tagged, they also become "it".

Hockey baseball --> Split into 2 teams. One player is "up to bat" and the rest of his team is behind him in line to bat. The other team is "in the field". The batter shoots the puck from infront of the net towards the other team. The defending team gets the puck, makes 3 passes to eachother, then has to shoot it into the net before the player goes around the bases. For bases set-up pylons at the bluelines in a 1st, 2nd and 3rd like manner. Make the net home plate.

MiniGames --> Take the nets and move them board to board so the surface is smaller, play either 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 and make it "King of the Court" where the winner (say first to score) stays.

Soccer/Football on ice! Everyone falls, everyone laughs. :lol:

See who can slide the farthest Comps.

Introduce them to the Fundamentals of hockey, but make it fun at the same time. :)

A shootout and when a person misses they get to shoot pucks at the next person in line trying to knock the puck of their stick.

another fun game is called stanley cup. 2 or 3 player teams who all play vs each other at the same time. if your group scores they sit down, if they dont they keep playing till 1 team who hasnt scored is left. they are then eliminated and you do it all over till 1 group wins it all.. another way to paly is to just tally up the goals or the 1st group to 5 wins.

British bulldog

or Kids Skate across the ice while I player/coach shoots hockey balls at them and whoever doesnt get hit wins

You forgot to mention that they're supposed to skate helmetless. :P

I like all of the above suggestions. You could also just let all the kids chase the puck in a massive shinny game and see if anyone takes to it really well...

OK, maybe something thats not potentially lethal. LOL! I was thinking stuff like glove tag and such. Remember that most of these kids have never played organized hockey and hardly know how to skate

Sharks and minnows: used to do this one when my kid was little. Everyone puts their sticks away on the benches. Players are the minnows, they line up behind one goal line. The coaches are the sharks, they are between the two blue lines.

On the whistle, the minnows have to skate to the other goal line without being caught by the sharks. Next whistle, they skate back to the other end. When you're caught, you become a shark. Keep going from one end to the other on the whistle until no minnows are left.

Sharks and minnows: used to do this one when my kid was little. Everyone puts their sticks away on the benches. Players are the minnows, they line up behind one goal line. The coaches are the sharks, they are between the two blue lines.

On the whistle, the minnows have to skate to the other goal line without being caught by the sharks. Next whistle, they skate back to the other end. When you're caught, you become a shark. Keep going from one end to the other on the whistle until no minnows are left.

Isn't that the same as British Bulldog ?