Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roach

Developing hockey in a non-hockey oriented country

Greetings from Manila, Philippines.

I am both an ice and an inline hockey player hoping to kick things into higher gear over here. As much as I would like to develop Ice hockey, that market is currently controlled by malls that have put up ice rinks (2 currently, 1 official sized rink in the making) and charge somewhat outrageous prices for the use of it for hockey. Apparently, the "money and profits are in figure skating" also holds true over here. That coupled with the Philippines being a tropical country and the locals being under-sized to play competitive Ice hockey, the thrust is to develop inline hockey.

The business model is a 3-prong approach: rink, school hockey program, equipment.

I have "solved" the first 2 items as rink construction will commence last week of January and I am looking into a hockey program that is currently being run in another Asian country.

The main concern of this post is the equipment. I will need to source out not only hockey equipment, but recreational skates and protective equipment as well for those that will initially want to learn how to skate then will hopefully progress to wanting to learn how to play hockey. Can anyone provide input as to how to go about with this? We have 1 small LHS that is affiliated with Easton, but the prices are shocking to say the least. Shipping cost is a big factor of the over-all retail price to the consumer, but I have already found relatively inexpensive ways to get the products over. I just need a good source from who to get them from. Will companies allow me to open an account and will I be able to get competitive prices from them so as to sell them close to what they are being sold in the US and in Canada?

My apologies for the long post, but that is everything in the shortest nutshell I can provide.

Looking forward to whatever input anyone can give.

~Roach

You need to find out who teh distributors are for your area and talk to them about pricing. If there is no distributor in your area, then you should talk to the manufacturers about being the distributor. Most products are made in asia so shipping shouldn't be a huge problem, though you may have to deal with tarriffs.

Thanks for the input, Chadd! Would you be able to provide me with a list of contact names and numbers? I doubt I'll be entertained if I were to call trunklines of customers.

Thanks for the input, Chadd! Would you be able to provide me with a list of contact names and numbers? I doubt I'll be entertained if I were to call trunklines of customers.

Poke around on the websites and see what you can come up with. If you can't locate the info you need, drop me an email and I will see what I can find. I'm actually a little swamped right now with some research I need to do for myself.

Poke around on the websites and see what you can come up with. If you can't locate the info you need, drop me an email and I will see what I can find. I'm actually a little swamped right now with some research I need to do for myself.

I'll do that, Chadd!

I have poked around some websites and have not found any listed Distributors, just shops at best.

I have also tried to contact some manufacturers, but haven't been answered yet.

I'll do some more research before dropping you an e-mail.

Thanks again!

You have to market yourself and be "the guy" for inline and ice hockey. You have to start up inline hockey leagues, skating classes and if you can a hockey league. Get yourself onto the filipino english expat forums and if there are ... some local english mags or newspapers.

Maybe from there host an extreme inline games or functions.

Open up a shop near the place to rollerblade and a bit near the ice skating rinks (plus elementary schools).

Maybe start of selling ROCS or other no name brands then get some credit history then go for Bauer, CCM or Mission-->for rollerblades too.

Start with the inline hockey first(assuming you already have the skating lessons) then once you are known for inline hockey then quickly branch out into ice. From there, you should have some people that want to play hockey together and want to play ice.

For jerseys, the philipines are known for making them.

For rollerblades .... try Taiwan. It is almost a hop away. Then try China.

Have you heard about the ongoing construction of the biggest mall in asia? It's in the philippines. Something called like SM mall of Asia. Yeh i know.. you are complaining about that. It was confirmed that on February, the first "olympic" size ICe hockey rink will be opened. For sure, it will be the destination for asian hockey competitions. Don't get fooled that it is inside the mall...It's not...It will be a part of the mall... An arena with at least 10,000 seats. It should open up the equipment marketing there in the Phils.

You have to market yourself and be "the guy" for inline and ice hockey. You have to start up inline hockey leagues, skating classes and if you can a hockey league. Get yourself onto the filipino english expat forums and if there are ... some local english mags or newspapers.

Open up a shop near the place to rollerblade and a bit near the ice skating rinks (plus elementary schools).

Maybe start of selling ROCS or other no name brands then get some credit history then go for Bauer, CCM or Mission-->for rollerblades too.

Start with the inline hockey first(assuming you already have the skating lessons) then once you are known for inline hockey then quickly branch out into ice. From there, you should have some people that want to play hockey together and want to play ice.

For rollerblades .... try Taiwan. It is almost a hop away. Then try China.

Thanks for taking the time out and jotting down all the input, Sticks of Fury!

Modesty aside, I am known as "the" inline guy over here. My group and I have hosted several local tournaments, but we have never had international teams fly into town to play as the rink we play on was puny in size and the general area was not friendly to tournaments and the like.

There are quite a number of ex-pats on my team here and they have advertised ice hockey in a number of ex-pat magazines here but have gotten 0 results.

For inline, we already have several Sport TV shows lined up. So that should create some buzz.

Your input on hosting extreme inline games or functions is exactly what we're thinking of when the rink is up. That should also be quite some fun and good exposure.

The shop will be beside the rink but will have a skateway as the area will be in a park with concrete pathways for people to skate around. Unfortunately, it is not near any elementary schools, but it is near a venue that is known to be populated by aggressive skaters and skateboarders as well as recreational skaters. So good news there.

I have no heard of ROCS. Could you please tell me more about this brand and where I can find this?

I'm not sure I can break into the ice scene as the malls own the ice rinks and they have their own coaches with their own internal politics going on. I would know as I used to be one of their coaches til I resigned.

Yes, the Philippines is known for making jerseys. I have a good contact for them already.

I will definitely try Taiwan for rollerblades as well as China.

Are you by any chance based in either of the 2?

Again, thanks heaps for the input!

Have you heard about the ongoing construction of the biggest mall in asia? It's in the philippines. Something called like SM mall of Asia. Yeh i know.. you are complaining about that. It was confirmed that on February, the first "olympic" size ICe hockey rink will be opened. For sure, it will be the destination for asian hockey competitions. Don't get fooled that it is inside the mall...It's not...It will be a part of the mall... An arena with at least 10,000 seats. It should open up the equipment marketing there in the Phils.

Yes, hockeyblood you are absolutely correct. The SM Mall of Asia is rumored to open in February with the first official sized ice hockey rink. I did not know that it would not be in the mall. An arena on it's own with 10,000 seats sounds very interesting indeed. It will definitely become a destination for both hockey and figure skating as the Philippines has won quite a number of medals abroad in the ISIA organization (if memory serves correct).

The ice rink should open the equipment marketing over here. I am hoping that my inline rink would do the same.

Thanks much for the input!

Are you also based in Manila?

You have to market yourself and be "the guy" for inline and ice hockey.  You have to start up inline hockey leagues, skating classes and if you can a hockey league.  Get yourself onto the filipino english expat forums and if there are ... some local english mags or newspapers. 

Start with the inline hockey first(assuming you already have the skating lessons) then once you are known for inline hockey then quickly branch out into ice.  From there, you should have some people that want to play hockey together and want to play ice.

For rollerblades .... try Taiwan.  It is almost a hop away.  Then try China.

Thanks for taking the time out and jotting down all the input, Sticks of Fury!

Modesty aside, I am known as "the" inline guy over here. My group and I have hosted several local tournaments, but we have never had international teams fly into town to play as the rink we play on was puny in size and the general area was not friendly to tournaments and the like.

There are quite a number of ex-pats on my team here and they have advertised ice hockey in a number of ex-pat magazines here but have gotten 0 results.

For inline, we already have several Sport TV shows lined up. So that should create some buzz.

Your input on hosting extreme inline games or functions is exactly what we're thinking of when the rink is up. That should also be quite some fun and good exposure.

The shop will be beside the rink but will have a skateway as the area will be in a park with concrete pathways for people to skate around. Unfortunately, it is not near any elementary schools, but it is near a venue that is known to be populated by aggressive skaters and skateboarders as well as recreational skaters. So good news there.

I have no heard of ROCS. Could you please tell me more about this brand and where I can find this?

I'm not sure I can break into the ice scene as the malls own the ice rinks and they have their own coaches with their own internal politics going on. I would know as I used to be one of their coaches til I resigned.

Yes, the Philippines is known for making jerseys. I have a good contact for them already.

I will definitely try Taiwan for rollerblades as well as China.

Are you by any chance based in either of the 2?

Again, thanks heaps for the input!

Based in Taipei, Taiwan.

Can have a look at these websites for info. Just moving our league games into the big rink from the mall size rink right now. Should be fun.

We have had some tourneys were the national team invited teams from Thailand and Korea just last month. For foreigner based teams, we couldn't find much participants.

http://www.taipeihockey.com/

and chinese version

http://www.hockey-hotline.com/

There is a forum in the taipeihockey one...maybe you guys want a game :)

Awesome sites, Sticks of Fury!

How I wish we were as organized as you guys over there!

We'd be very interested in games, but have to set-up shop first. Are you talking about ice and inline games or just one of the two?

What team do you play on? And are you any of the people they mention in the few articles that I read from the website?

The only one that I know from Taiwan that play is Geoff (Monoclub) who is also on the board.

Awesome sites, Sticks of Fury!

How I wish we were as organized as you guys over there!

We'd be very interested in games, but have to set-up shop first. Are you talking about ice and inline games or just one of the two?

What team do you play on? And are you any of the people they mention in the few articles that I read from the website?

The only one that I know from Taiwan that play is Geoff (Monoclub) who is also on the board.

Basically Geoff is "the guy" here and he is the vice commissioner of our league and if there are any tourneys either inline or ice he will try to organize something or at least help out. Please give him a shout!

I am not any of those guys but hopefully in the future I will be. Just played my first game last sunday.

Just a no name now but we will see. B)

I play on the ""Craptors" :D

Yes, hockeyblood you are absolutely correct. The SM Mall of Asia is rumored to open in February with the first official sized ice hockey rink. I did not know that it would not be in the mall. An arena on it's own with 10,000 seats sounds very interesting indeed. It will definitely become a destination for both hockey and figure skating as the Philippines has won quite a number of medals abroad in the ISIA organization (if memory serves correct).

The ice rink should open the equipment marketing over here. I am hoping that my inline rink would do the same.

Thanks much for the input!

Are you also based in Manila?

I will be going back there in a few months or so. I play rec hockey back there in an ice rink that has a huge post in the middle (Im sure you know what Im talking about). When I took my holiday vacation... I can hardly believe that there is going to be an official sized rink...this time it's for real...

About the equipment though... Ive seen the ff stuff made there:

Mission hockey bags

Koho gloves

some elbow pads and lotsa jerseys (we have good tailors dont' we?)

and yeah...Philippines badly need a league.

Basically Geoff is "the guy" here and he is the vice commissioner of our league and if there are any tourneys either inline or ice he will try to organize something or at least help out. Please give him a shout!

I am not any of those guys but hopefully in the future I will be. Just played my first game last sunday.

Just a no name now but we will see. B)

I play on the ""Craptors" :D

Awesome stuff! I have contacted Geoff from the board and will continue to do so. He has already invited me and my guys over for friendlies, pick-ups, and then some. We will definitely be in touch.

What number do you wear for the Craptors? I'll be looking out for you should we fly in.

Again, thanks for all the input!

I will be going back there in a few months or so. I play rec hockey back there in an ice rink that has a huge post in the middle (Im sure you know what Im talking about). When I took my holiday vacation... I can hardly believe that there is going to be an official sized rink...this time it's for real...

About the equipment though... Ive seen the ff stuff made there:

Mission hockey bags

Koho gloves

some elbow pads and lotsa jerseys (we have good tailors dont' we?)

and yeah...Philippines badly need a league.

I know exactly where you're referring to. I hardly make it out there. I am mostly in the smaller rink down south. Hit me up with a PM or an e-mail when you fly in. I'd gladly make it to the rink with the post in the middle to say hey, play, then grab a few Lights with you afterwards.

Based on everything that I've heard (yet to be seen) the official sized rink will be real. That should be some fun, eh?

Thanks for the added info on the equipment made here. Several years ago, I did visit the factory that did Cooper gloves as well as gloves for another Japanese brand (sorry, forgot) that surprisingly came out with a hockey glove as well. All for export to the US and to Japan. Indeed we have some pretty darn good tailors this part of the world. That and the rest of the innovative group that can practically imitate anything.

With the opening of the 2 rinks (ice and inline) your concern on the league/s should be addressed. What remains to be seen is who does it better.

Looking forward to meeting you when you fly in.