Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jwr

Hitting a wall

After 10 years of skating organized beer league hockey, pickup, and puckshoots I feel as if I am hitting a wall. I feel as if my skating, stickhandling, etc has kind of plateaued. Maybe its my age-I am 38 years old, I don't know. In other words I am not getting any better no matter what I do. I took some time off about year ago just to refocus, about 3 months. So I dont think its mental. It just seems like no matter how much I do; weights, nutrition, plyometrics, skating-that this is the best I am going to be. I would like to keep improving but I am not. Basically, I am the same I was a year ago I feel. I know after awhile improvements are small, but I feel very frustrated. I play 3-4 times a week. Is this something I have to deal with because I am getting older. Anybody else hit the wall? Help me get over the hump.Thanks.

I think you need to step back and contemplate why you play the game. At age 38, you're obviously not going to develop into a professional hockey player. Are you having fun?

God you sound like my wife. :D Yeah I am having fun. Just want to keep improving. It doesnt help that I play with guys younger than me that have had formal training-travel,college,etc. One group I play with I play right wing. My center and left wing are 18 and 19-combined they are not even as old as me. Two kids and an old goat line. I was always told you get better by playing with people that are better than you though. Just frustrated, I guess. Just crying in my beer.

I hear you, I've had some extended time off at times the past 2 years and have reached the mid-30's..and its all of a sudden things are failing....

for the first time in a long time, I'm working on my game, bought a stickhandling DVD (always been the weakest point) the other day, etc..

then again the biggest thing this year is that I'm up at 6/630 working all day, commuting 1hr each way in traffic..and then racing to the rink..which is new..normally when i'm home..i'm off...I make sure I get some naps in..20minute min..and its made a difference..

if not..guess I'll just have to go to hockey camp!! :D

I feel the same way. I'm 28 and it seems like I don't have it anymore. No matter what I do, it's like I can't put up points. I used to be able to skate past guys and deke the hell outta people, but now what used to be second nature, is like nonexistent. I still have fun when I play but maybe I'm sufferin' burnout.

Yeah I hear you. I am up 6:00am and have a 2hr commute each way, work a second job on the weekend, wife, kids, house... I have been playing alot in the am-on the ice at like 6am on the weekends or 11:00pm during the week. I try to get some workouts during the week and some plyometrics on the weekend as well.

I have been to a couple of adult hockey camps. I went to Can-Am camp in Lake Placid, NY for 3 years in a row. I highly recommend it. Good time, learned a lot, drank alot, and I met a lot of great people that I still keep in touch with. Its nice to know I am not the only one experiencing this.