Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alostsok

Rowing Machine

I joined crew for a semester back when I first started college. While the sport itself is quite terrible, the workouts kicked my ass.

Does anyone have any info/input as to whether the rowing machines in the gym have any benefits(or negatives) for building stamina/endurance for hockey? Running agitates my knees, biking is ok, and elliptical is decent, but nothing killed me like going full steam on those stupid things...

I know it works legs, back, arms, and abs... but that's the extent of my physical training expertise.

(if this has already been discussed, sorry I'm an idiot)

It seems like it would be a great routine for your core, the same muscles that you really use for hockey. It should build power more than stamina.

Rowing machines are my favorite for warm up because you have to use so many muscle groups, just make sure yor back is straight.

I bought one of these things a few years ago and like it a lot, but I have to admit I use an exercycle much more often.

http://www.waterrower.com/

I had to add some glycerine to the water to make it a little more viscous and make the rowing harder. There is no normal adjustment for level of effort.

I have tried the types of rowers that move air (like a big fan that you rotate by pulling the cord), and those were a little too jerky and way too easy for me.

The water rower is really smooth, and is most like actually rowing a boat.

If you do buy a cheaper one, try it out and make sure its operation is smooth. If it is jerky, you will soon learn to hate it. Also, check out the seat to make sure it is well built and glides smoothly, as it will get a lot of abuse.

I've always hated the rowing machine more than any other 'cardio' machine in the gym. That's prob a good sign that it does the most, eh? :)

thanks for the feedback guys

jesus, I knew working on the rower did some good but I ddint think it did that much, guess I'll just keep on goingon it for now, I also use a bike before sessions just to get my legs moving