Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

92hatchattack

Recomendation for some cheap steet pads?

Ok, im sure most of you ready through my post about my intrest in goaltending.....

Well ive been streching out and messing around and whatnot, and ive quickly relized that going down(in my living room) without pads on has quickly taken an effect to my knees. They hurt.

So im thinking about buying a cheap set of pads.

Now in the summer im probaly going to practice outdoors a bit, so they would have to a kind that is durable enough for the street, yet my main goal is to be able to eventualy play ice hockey, so im hoping that i can find a street pad that kinda has the same feel/funtion of an ice pad.

Im going to say that my budget should be around $100-150..... Is there anything that you guys can recomend to me????

when I started playing in goal I just bought an old set from the keeper of one of the teams at the rink, possibly the best thing to do is check out the local teams, get to know the keepers+ see if any off them have some cheap gear going

What size are you looking for? I would say look at some Tour pads or CCM street hockey pads. If you need are larger size, you might try buying an old pair of ice hockey pads.

1 of our lads used to use a pair of the tour's from the bottom lot+ on some of the bigger shots he ended up with huge bruises were the pads were ment to protect, wasnt to impressed with them,

^^^ But im guessing your talking about ice hockey and real pucks right???? Im looking for something to practice with using probaly just a plastic ball, and something that is cheap.

Like many have recomended to me before i want to buy cheap stuff to practice with off ice, and not go out and spend alot of money till im really sure that i want to be goaltending.

One thing i use to do when I geared up outside is get a giant piece of cardboard, yes mobility is down a little bit, but will def save the pads rather than just playing on tar or concrete

I had a pair of those Tour USA pads. They lasted a little more than a year outside. Didn't have any problems with bruises, but I was using a ball. If you just want to play a little street hockey, they will work, anything more serious will require a little more protection.

I had a pair of those Tour USA pads. They lasted a little more than a year outside. Didn't have any problems with bruises, but I was using a ball. If you just want to play a little street hockey, they will work, anything more serious will require a little more protection.

Also I have a pair of those Tour USA pads. I use a ball and they are my summer pads. I have to wear extra knee protection underneath to protect myself when I drop into a butterfly.

These pads don't feel like ice hockey pads though. They are light and foamy like.

I have to wear extra knee protection underneath to protect myself when I drop into a butterfly.

Good point. The first time I used the pads, I dropped into a butterfly and scrapped up my knee. After that I got a pair of inline skate knee pads. They work well.

Hey guys, check out these for me. They are a little more on the expensive side being $200 but i may consider them as well. (they match the catch glove i bought). Are these a little more like ice style? They look like they will have far more protection than the Tour usa ones.

And how do i measure to find out what pad side will fit me best???

CCM STREET HOCKEY - PFS 2000 LEG PAD SR...

http://www.hockey1.com/product-info.asp?pi...product=&manuf=

Great find....

Acording the that calculator i should be a size 34. Dont hear alot of guys talking about using 34's so im wondering if that may be a little off.

I am 5'11"-6', does a 34 sound correct???

Great find....

Acording the that calculator i should be a size 34. Dont hear alot of guys talking about using 34's so im wondering if that may be a little off.

I am 5'11"-6', does a 34 sound correct???

That should be about right, i'm a little shorter at 5-9 5-10, correct size for me is a 33 but I use 34, which is a little big, should work for you just fine.

If you measure your ankle to knee height, a 34" pad will generally fit about a 17" to 18" ATK height.

Im 5'8 and use a custom 34"+1" pad.

It sounds like you should maybe be a 36" but it all depends on you ATK height. Some people have large bodys and small legs and vice-versa. :lol:

You want your knee in the middle of the knee craddle or else you wont get any knee protection.

:)

well i measure from the knot in my ankle to like the middle of the side/front of the knee cap right???? i get about a 18- 18 1/4

as an inexperienced tender i just dont want to get anything too big, cause im sure ill have the pads crashing into each other everytime as it is untill i learn the propper way of doing things.

I guess ill be going with the 34's for now?

92hatchback, I just got my CCM PFS 2000 and they worked out pretty good. The main reason I got them was because I needed a 36" and not many companies make street pad in that size. They seem fairly sturdy and they are pretty light and they fold out nicely when I drop into my b-fly. Since I play roller hockey w/o skates, the pads were rubbing on the ground the whole time so there is already a little wear on the bottom of the pads. I just put some duct tape on them and now it should be okay. They are a lot different then my old mylec pads that I was using so I"ve had to adjust my form a little bit, but thats no big deal seeing as how I now take up almost twice as much room in the net. Overall, I'd say they are a nice pad but you might be able to find something with more or less the same features at a lower (around $100) price tag. Hopes this helps and if you have any questions just post them and I'll try to answer them. -Ryan