Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nelly

AEHL

Okay heres the deal. A buddy of mine and myself have been invited to tryouts for a supposed Junior A team in the northeast and we would like to get some insight from you guys who might have heard more about it than us Midwest folk. Upon browsing around the teams website, I found some disheartening info. The site mentioned about $7K in fees for the season. That figure seems to us to be INSANE! Around here, kids in Junior A do not pay ANYTHING. Do any of you know anything about this league (talent wise, organizational, etc)? Even for Junior A, I can not justify moving half way across the country and having to pay the equivalent to a year's tuition to play hockey, plus still having to pay for all my other bills. Thoughts?

-Ryan

From the site it seems to be a joke.There are only 5 teams and that price is outrageous.I would look into something else,but 1 thing that is odd to me is there are players from all over the world in that league,even from Japan and I didn't even know they played hockey there.

it alsways cost coin to play jrs in the states that isn tthe ushl. hell the boston bulldogs costs 10k a year. leagyue looks like a joke. for it to have to crossover to montreal in a 5 team league is a joke.

From the site it seems to be a joke.There are only 5 teams and that price is outrageous.I would look into something else,but 1 thing that is odd to me is there are players from all over the world in that league,even from Japan and I didn't even know they played hockey there.

There are actually some very good players and fair professional league in Japan. If you go through some ECHL rosters, you'll find some players who are over here from Japan.

About America East, it's a non-USA Hockey sanctioned league and claims to be "Jr. A". There are a few decent players at the top, but as a whole the league is Midget A hockey where you can wear visors (non-approved since it's non-sanctioned), and play until you're 25. I'd be very surprised if it stays afloat more than a few years. Terrible excuse for junior hockey.

The cost isn't outrageous. Some EJHL teams can cost that much. It just isn't worth it to pay that much to play in a crap league.

Their home rink is going to be where I play. I play on Sunday nites with 2 of the guys who have already signed. I can't give you any insight really except that they want a Junior team in this area.

The fan base ought to be pretty decent. There are several local HS that use that as a home rink. I would go watch, as it is only 15 minutes away. It has got to be about a 30 year old rink. The website for the team says they are going to update the locker rooms and I would have to say they need it. They are OK for youth leagues and HS, but I would think that they would need some work for other leagues. The ice is good, but that is coming from a guy who has only played the game for about 3 months.

It is kind of a weak website but this is the rink:

http://www.kennebecicearena.com/

please do cause i'm nelly's buddy who is also looking for a junior team. PM me and I'll give you me e-mail to give to the guys who signed up. I'd like to talk to them.

Hey guys im one of the three players that has signed for the Moose thus far. A lot of people that have been bashing this league for no apparent reason. No the players cannot be 22 they have to be 20. The only reason why this league broke away from USA hockey is because USA hockey was screwing over the league by not letting them apply for JUnior A status so the league said screw it and went out on its own. As far as the Mooses players are concerend they are far abouve the Midget A status that one of you called the league. One kid is from Minnesota and was on the nationally ranked team that has 6 kids playing D1 and several playing in the USHL. He was one of the top scorers on the team. Another of the kids was invited to tryout for the Quebec Major Junior League, was on team maine, and was first team all state. ANd the kid that just signed from High School is a league all star most likly first team he was also on team maine. If any of you havve any questions about the league or the team i would be happy to answer them. Also the reason why teams in the northeast charge is because they don not bring in 5000 to a game like the USHL thus they need player tuition to help pay the bills. But the Moose will most likely draw about a 1000 a game and have a strong community support system.

Hey guys im one of the three players that has signed for the Moose thus far. A lot of people that have been bashing this league for no apparent reason. No the players cannot be 22 they have to be 20. The only reason why this league broke away from USA hockey is because USA hockey was screwing over the league by not letting them apply for JUnior A status so the league said screw it and went out on its own. As far as the Mooses players are concerend they are far abouve the Midget A status that one of you called the league. One kid is from Minnesota and was on the nationally ranked team that has 6 kids playing D1 and several playing in the USHL. He was one of the top scorers on the team. Another of the kids was invited to tryout for the Quebec Major Junior League, was on team maine, and was first team all state. ANd the kid that just signed from High School is a league all star most likly first team he was also on team maine. If any of you havve any questions about the league or the team i would be happy to answer them. Also the reason why teams in the northeast charge is because they don not bring in 5000 to a game like the USHL thus they need player tuition to help pay the bills. But the Moose will most likely draw about a 1000 a game and have a strong community support system.

Hey kid, your opinion is what it is, but don't assume the opinion of a player or the manager who put you into the league is that of college coaches. Those are the opinions that matter. I've seen enough junior games in the last few years, along with quite a few AEHL games this winter to know where it stands amongst other junior leagues. Maybe this team you've signed with is getting a lot of stud players, but we'll just have to wait to see your team's DI signing list next year to determine that. I've said before that I think there's already too many sanctioned USA Hockey junior leagues with not enough talent to go around as is. Hopefully your team is an anomaly to this trend. Best of luck next season.

Guys, If you are serious about developing in junior hockey, consider legitimate Jr. B leagues. In the northeast that is the Empire or Metropolitan league. You will get good coaching, and a chance to move up to their corresponding EJHL (teamed with Empire) or AJHL (teamed with Metropolitan) elite teams. Tryouts are starting soon, so hop in a car and load the tank. I am sure there are other legitimate Jr b leagues in other parts of the country. Tryout for teams in the upper 1/2 of the standings and you pretty much can not go wrong.

You will get good coaching, good officiating, play with/against either top young prospects or older experienced players, and have a chance to go to nationals. You will legitimately get scouted for EJHL, AJHL, and QMJHL teams. You will have USA Hockey insurance.

AJHL? I wouldnt go as far to say thats a league to shoot for, when it comes down to it tier II junior A: NAHL, EJHL here in the US, look for the OPJHL, CJHL, BCHL, heck even look at Jr A in Quebec, the Northern Ontario league, things of that matter, most Jr A in Canada is sanctioned by Hockey Canada. Im not too sure but there were always a few teams in the OPJHL that were in the US (Buffalo, Oswego, formerly Syracuse) If youre serious about tier 1 the OHL, WHL, and QMJHL are true tier 1, USHL is US tier 1 Jr A, more than likely you'll go NCAA from USHL, and if you go CHL Major Junior (WHL, OHL, QMHJL) you'll lose your NCAA eligibility, but you'll have more of the "Pro Hockey" experience...when it comes down to it, protect your neck and wallet...I have a buddy who ended up in EJHL and was sleeping on a floor in an apartment with 5 other players and he said that they had to find their own transportation to games as far away as Vermont, while on the other hand I have friends who've played Jr A in the OPJHL, for a small, trust me very small fee, he had an apartment with another player, grocery bill, and such, treated like a king as an American. Heck, Jr B in Ontario is free, and for $100-250 you'll get all your gear, skates, and some sort of stick deal (not to mention 4 practices a week, friday and sunday games, and saturdays off) just make sure you know what youre getting in to before you drop $7K, and trust me if a kid should be in the Q, he wont be sandbagging down to an expansion, half way Jr A club...

Do you know what the level of competition of Junior B in Ontario is compared to that of say the NAHL and some of the better Junior B here in the States? I want to go play Juniors, but I do not want to waste my time either. I really don't care where I have to go. Shit if I end up in Canada or even the fricken north pole for a year to continue my dream, then I'm all for it as long aas its not going to be a waste of my time and money. That being said, I am currently looking heavily at the NAHL and even going in the back door at some of the USHL organizations around me.