Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

92hatchattack

Inline skates...... stoping on asphalt?

So i finaly got a chance to roll on my new Missions over the weekend and boy are they great. The one problem im having though is once they start rolling they just go, and i cant figure out how to properly stop without wrecking myself.... any ideas????

Also, what is the proper technique of doing backward crossovers, and the best way to transition from skating backwards to skating fowards again???

Stopping on inlines is not like stopping on ice, it's more of a powerslide technique. Basically, when you want to stop, you turn very sharp and press out instead of rolling through the turn. You will also want your feet about shoulder width apart to maintain balance. If you want to try and practice, visualize a sharp C turn.

Backwards crossovers are the same no matter what type of skating or what surface you are skating on. The easiest way I can explain this, if you are at a skating rink, you're probably crossing your right leg over all of the time, as most tend to skate counter-clockwise. If you were moving backwards crossing over the same way, you'd only go clockwise. The motion is essentially the same though, it just takes a little practice on the balance.

Transitions will become second nature, but for the conscious part of it while you are skating backwards both feet are faced in front of you. To transition from here, pick up your left foot and begin to turn it facing almost behind you. Once you have your balance down on the left, bring the right foot around and both should be facing in front of you again.

It's so hard to describe all of this without any sort of visual to accompany, so sorry if I confused you further.

Backwards to forwards transition:

This is if you want to turn towards your right as you turn forwards.

Have both your feet under you with your knees bent.

Pick up your right foot with all your weight on your left foot.

You want to plant your right foot down and push off with your left foot.

So, "open up" towards your right, and as you put your right foot down, you should almost be making a C turn with your left foot. You want your left foot to pivot, which is a bit difficult on your rollerblades.

Transfer your weight forward to your right as you push off your stride from your left foot.

Backwards to forwards transition:

This is if you want to turn towards your right as you turn forwards.

Have both your feet under you with your knees bent.

Pick up your right foot with all your weight on your left foot.

You want to plant your right foot down and push off with your left foot.

So, "open up" towards your right, and as you put your right foot down, you should almost be making a C turn with your left foot. You want your left foot to pivot, which is a bit difficult on your rollerblades.

Transfer your weight forward to your right as you push off your stride from your left foot.

thank you for explaning that better, I have been pretty groggy all morning, so I wasn't sure I was making enough sense to describe it. That sums it up pretty well.

I just took notice that you are skating on asphalt as well, know that you won't be able to do as much hard turning, etc. as you would on a better surface like an indoor rink.

i think i get the idea guys ... what exactly is a "C" turn????? sorry, i dont know the hockey terms yet....

imagine your are making a sharp turn in a C shape. Instead of providing lateral force like you would on ice, you are basically just turning so sharp that your wheels catch and stop you

As already mentioned, you can "stop" by using really sharp turns; or another method is to drag one leg behind the other.

Don't even think about doing power stops though--unless you like barrel rolls. In ideal asphalt, such as the new perfectly-paved-suburbian-parking-lot -asphalt, you might might be able to power stop if you're good, otherwise dont even try it.

As already mentioned, you can "stop" by using really sharp turns; or another method is to drag one leg behind the other.

Don't even think about doing power stops though--unless you like barrel rolls. In ideal asphalt, such as the new perfectly-paved-suburbian-parking-lot -asphalt, you might might be able to power stop if you're good, otherwise dont even try it.

I can do a power stop on a tennis court surface, but be aware of your wheels durometer (hardness) If they're too soft, you'll grip immediately and role (as suggested, plus you'l eat up your wheels pretty quickly) if they're too hard, you'll continue sliding on your stopping foot, but the foot under you won't, so you'll do a splits type move.

It does take time to get use to it, so be patient.