Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdcopp

What would you do?

Ok, so here's my issue/problem: I need a pair of skates for outdoor park hockey this summer. I have an outdoor concrete surface, so nowhere near as bad as asphalt. I have narrowed my three choices down to the Mission HE5500 ($200.00), the CCM PF6 ($200.00) or the RBK 6K Pump ($250.00). All three fit fine and feel comfy (before someone jumps in and tells me to try them on). I am using PF10's indoors again, so the Tri-Di is current and comfortable for me. All three skates are close in price range, though the Mission is definitely the stiffer of the three boots. The RBK pump system is interesting because RBK has circumvented some of the foam in the ankle to accomodate the pump, which would definitely make it the best fit from the box simply because of the custom-style fit. The PF6 is just a solid skate itself with solid wheels and bearings.

So what would you do if in my shoes? I am looking for why you'd pick one above the rest.

well, the PF6 is going to fit much like your PF10. Just because of that, I would go with those.

The RBK fit pretty much the same too, so even if I eliminate Mission from the equation (which I'm still not deadset on because only their top end skates cause me pain and the 5500 feels pretty good), I still have two good options between the PF6 and the 6K. Not to mention that the PF8 is around the same price as the 6K, so it enters as a possible contender. I'm not sure other than wheels and bearings what the PF8 definitively has over the PF6.

I use the 8Ks for indoor and I will vouch for the fact that they are comfortable and are the best fitting boot I've worn. I've also used the PF8s for indoor and those were comfortable for me as well. But, for outdoors, I chose to go with the 3500s only because I knew they were gonna get torn up, and it's a solid boot for $150. The one thing that kept me from getting PFs or RBKs was the wheel setup. I guess in my mind it's easier just to get 4 72s and 4 80s as opposed to getting 72s. 76s and 80s.

I use the 8Ks for indoor and I will vouch for the fact that they are comfortable and are the best fitting boot I've worn. I've also used the PF8s for indoor and those were comfortable for me as well. But, for outdoors, I chose to go with the 3500s only because I knew they were gonna get torn up, and it's a solid boot for $150. The one thing that kept me from getting PFs or RBKs was the wheel setup. I guess in my mind it's easier just to get 4 72s and 4 80s as opposed to getting 72s. 76s and 80s.

The individual wheels are also not a problem for me, and I'm looking at three maybe four solid skates to pick from. It helps that you can vouch for the comfort of the pump skates, as I've only got to try on the ice 5K, so I haven't been able to really skate around in them. Is it normal to have to pump the bejeesus out of them, cause I had to when I tried the 5K on.

For me, I usually use 5-6 pumps and it feels fine. Now I don't know if it varies between boots or if there is a trickle down theory from the higher models to the lower models.